1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This Is Why Newspapers Will Fail

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Hoo

Hoo Active Member

The publisher's stupid and all, but shouldn't y'all have more than 1 person who knows how to operate the website?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The website is easy to operate once it's up and running, but it's tricky to get started and tends to stall out on hot days.

3. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

Probably, but that's ultimately the publisher's fault and problem and shouldn't be laid at the feet of the shell of a staff he's kept.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Hey, I think my wife is a bigamist, because she's been telling me the exact same things.

5. lono

lono Active Member

I was way high up the food chain at a couple of newspapers.

And the reason I went back to being a writer was I sat through too many meetings where highly paid and presumably intelligent publishers did the most asinine things you could imagine — shit that even a 4th-grader knew was sub-moronic.

Believe me, I've been in meetings like the one described above and it's horrifying.

6. Sneed

Sneed Guest

But where to?

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Every man for himself.

I'm thinking of picking up a quick two-year degree in network administration at the local C.C. and then going from there.

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I love that guy who threw the coffee in the trash can and said he had work to do.
    The suits are in over their heads. Their business is dead but unfortunately we are going down with them cause we are powerless. They won't listen to us.

9. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

This is my plan. Two-year diploma in PR/Communications coupled with 10 years media experience should be okay. I also found a summer internship that I might apply for if I'm eventually out here.

10. micke77

micke77 Member

this scenario is one of the reasons why I'd give anything to win the Powerball or come into so much money that I could either fire suck dickheads in charge or buy my own freakin newspaper.
    absolutely pathetic leadership or a lack of it.
    what's even worse is that so many of us on SportsJournalists.com have to deal with this kind of crap.

Draft saved Draft deleted