1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This Is Why Newspapers Will Fail

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

So, I was going to post this on my D-Day thread, because it happen at my shop, but I thought it so completely insane enough to serve as an example on its own.

The axe swung Monday at my paper. Tuesday, there was a general staff meeting to "update the staff on changes." After a pep talk by the publisher who did the deed, the following occurred:

PUBLISHER: Any questions?
    REPORTER 1: Yeah, who will update our website and edit our blogs now?
    PUBLISHER: The same person who always has.
    REPORTER 2: You fired that person yesterday.

*silence*

*silence*

Reporter 2, one of the best we have and one of the most senior, gets up, walks over to the publisher and throws his coffee cup in the garbage that's beside the publisher and stares at him for a second.

REPORTER 2: I have work to do. Walks out.

If these are the uninformed folks we have in charge, making these types of decisions, we're doomed.

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I believe that is deserving of a, "Wow. Just wow."

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Publisher should have did everyone a favor and laid himself off.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Ballsy. If I were reporter 2, I'd be worried about going next.

5. And that would probably be the best thing that could happen to him.

Every once in a while I think to myself, "Are we just being obnoxious? Is it just that everybody hates their bosses? Are we being unfair, frustrated by the climate?"

Then I read stories like these.

6. Pete Incaviglia

Maybe, but I doubt it. He's got the seniority. He's award-winning. He's a damn hard worker.

7. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

It's good to know the publish can think on his feet. Why not quickly say that X will do it, then after the meeting is over go to X and see if they are willing. Or go to the editors after the meeting and see who will add that to their responsibilities.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Why didn't the publisher just say, "You will!" to Reporter 1?

Only in the newspaper industry, kids. Only in the newspaper industry.

9. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Pathetic. The realization that people this stupid are in charge of my livelihood has really put a damper on a job that I really enjoy.

10. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

Those traits have saved so many people jobs lately.

11. Pete Incaviglia

Good point.

But, truth is, I'm sure he's like everyone else and couldn't care less if he was hacked. This plane is in a flat spin heading out to see. There's no saving it now. The whole industry. I've put things in perspective and shifted my focus. Soon, others will, too.

12. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

I've often begun to wonder if getting the axe - I havent, yet - might be the best thing to happen to me. I don't think I'll leave the business voluntarily, but I know I'd be smarter if I did. :-\

Draft saved Draft deleted