1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This Is Why Louisiana Is Great, Chapter MCMVII

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Diaper Dave Vitter explains why his use of high-priced hookers is different from Eliot Spitzer and, therefore, why it's cool that he didn't resign while Spitzer, of course, had to.
    http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/frontpage/index.ssf?/base/news-2/120564587828870.xml&coll=1

You see. Vitter's hooker-humping is Ok because he has political enemies.
    Say what you will, but it takes brass ones to say this to a reporter.

2. Grimace

Grimace Guest

"Anybody who looks at the two cases will see there is an enormous difference between the two of them. The people that are trying to draw comparisons to the two cases are people who've never agreed with me on important issues like immigration and other things."

Uh, no. The people drawing comparisons are the ones who think U.S. Senators shouldn't stick their weenies in hoo-weres.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Unbelievable.

4. And here I thought this was going to be some sort of screed against Jefferson or any of the corrupt Dems that have helped make Louisiana a basket case.

But I should have known better.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

No comment necessary.

6. I believe the parallels between Spitzer and Vitter are rather more compelling than those between Jefferson and Spitzer, but I could be wrong.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

A question for you...and I mean this sincerely since I don't keep a scorecard...haven't we already attacked Jefferson and others on this board?

8. SigR

SigR Member

Given that prostitution should be legal in that it is a "crime" where nobody gets hurt and two consenting adults get what they want, I don't think it's smart to start throwing stones at others who have participated in this "crime". Throw stones at those who make and enforce ridiculous laws. If it happens to be the same person, make sure you tape a note to the stones explaining that you are throwing them for reason 2 instead of reason 1.

9. Grimace

Grimace Guest

I'll try that reasoning on my wife after my trip to Amsterdam.

10. I have no intention of taping notes to stones.
    What fun is that?

11. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

Vitter may not have known he was talking to a reporter. He did one of those teleconference town hall meetings and a reporter with an alt-weekly happened to get called for it.
    Pretty much everything he does here is looked at with suspicion by the press -- Vitter tried to get federal funding for a group pushing intelligent design and it was seen as a sop to religious conservatives. He's blocking Bush's nominee to head the ATF because the guy is seen as being hard on gun owners. A columnist with the Times-Pic had a field day with that a couple of weeks ago, because one of the other senators blocking this ATF nominee is Larry Craig. That's a column that writes itself.

12. True dat.
    Intelligent design?
    Oy.

Draft saved Draft deleted