1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is what newspapers are losing out to online

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Newspaper video is horrible for the most part as well. I don't think too many papers bring in enough advertising to justify paying a reporter who can write for print and knows how to shoot a package.

As for anonymousprick, your handle fits your post. Bigger market TV stations should be at a higher level than a community newspaper. Sort of how the NY Times is better than the West Binghamton Honker.

The FOX affiliate in the No. 21 market in the country should be better than Terre Haute, Ind., or Glendive, Mt.

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Um, what does all that mean? :D

Seriously, I think this is a large part of the problem for people with print backgrounds now.

They usually lack technical expertise, and, while all of that is certainly not unlearn-able for your average intelligent, forward-thinking reporter -- and I do believe good reporters are often among the most intelligent, broad-thinking people around -- the fact that nobody wants to teach this stuff while on the job is a major hindrance.

To wit, with regard to even the very next logical step for print reporter/writers: Virtually every job posting for anything involving even basic desk work requires "expert" knowledge of Quark Xpress, InDesign or some other digital layout/design program, even though this stuff is usually not that difficult to learn.

Papers are not looking for journalists, reporters and writers anymore. These days, they are looking primarily for technical people that they can use as journalists, not journalists they can/will show whatever else they may need to know.

They're not willing to train people up, for the most part. Ergo, most good reporters and writers whose strengths/previous experiences lean those ways are likely to be out of the business soon.

That's my prediction. People don't care about good reporting/writing. Or, more accurately, that is no longer the focus of the job. It's just not. The technical stuff is.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Fixed ...

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

180 rule? Rule of thirds?

I don't even know what those are

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Here's the story. It's not just bad grammar, it's subliterate...reads like a fifth grade test where you have to correct the obvious errors. And since it's been up there for quite a while, clearly no one cares.

Rams Co-Owner Wants to Buy Team Outright

St. Louis, MO (KTVI-FOX2now.com) - FOX2's Sports Director Martin Kilcoyne has been digging into Kroenke's bid to buy the Rams. Stan Kroenke wants to be an NFL owner and always has. And so, he maybe just that. It appears he may not have to ask the NFL owners to change the rule on cross sport ownership in competing NFL markets.

FOX2 has learned that Kroenke is prepared to mover the NBA Denver Nuggets and NHL Colorado Avalanche ownership from his name to another family member's name; allowing Kroenke to buy the remaining 60% in Rams shares from Chip Rosenbloom and Lucia Rodriguez. Kroenke has own a 40% stake in the Rams since they arrive in St. Louis.

Kroenke did make an offer to the Rosenbloom's last fall in an attempt to purchase the Rams, but the offer was rejected as being to low. But since that offer, Kroenke has put together a group of investors that is willing to put up the money to buy the remaining shares for the St. Louis Rams.

With these pieces in place, Kroenke could out bid Shahid Khan for ownership of the Rams at the next NFL owners meeting set in Dallas on May 24th-26th.

6. Bob Crotchet

Bob Crotchet Member

Well, I've done enough photo editing and cropping to know what the rule of thirds is. ... 180 degree rule? Not so much. And you're absolutely right about the lack of technical expertise. And I'll also mention that there is <em>nothing</em> on our site that is good enough to make me sit through even a short ad before seeing it. ... Devil's advocate time: Do you think the proliferation of YouTube and its ilk is going to have the same harmful effect on professionally produced video? I.e., people will put up with junk because they see so much of it?

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Jimminy! Are you all union in Canada or something?

I can forgive the rule of thirds, but as many sitdowns as you've probably done in your career, and you don't know the 180 degree rule?

Talking heads... What good are they? 8)

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Not really. YouTube is only competition for news orgs' video clips in that it sucks up potential viewers' time.

But people love good TV. I've never been more sure of that.

9. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

I believe the rule of thirds is that the most important visual element - what the eye is naturally drawn to - takes up the middle "third" of the TV screen (from top to bottom). For a visual example, notice any shot of USC song girls on the sidelines going into or out of a commercial break.

10. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Me no haf to rite guud, just haff to sownd guud on da teevee. Ekskewz me, haff to go get maikup for da hi def browdkast.

11. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

The 180 degree rule is different in Canada because of the metric system.

:)

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Ooh, ooh, I know what it is!

It's the rule that states that you limit all camera work to a 180-degree radius -- essentially, that you keep the camera pointed in front of you. The primary effects thereof is that if you start a shot with two people, the one on the left stays on the left and the one on the right stays on the right.

Draft saved Draft deleted