1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'This is what it's like to grow up in the age of likes, lols and longing'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 26, 2016.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I hear so many sports pundits talk about how obsessed they are with their fucking twitter feeds. It blows my mind.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Maybe we could just put Truck Nuts in each of their sigs.

Mr. Sunshine and HC like this.
  3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Might as well give monkeys guns.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Anyone had this kind of experience?

My two older boys, the first one is fine with computers/phones/whatever -- I think he could be more social, but he seems happy and he gets everything done that he needs to and is a great student and has friends who go places together occasionally, yada yada yada.

The second one gets obsessed with the screens to the point that he doesn't do his homework, talk to us, etc. And there's a sliding scale by screen size -- if he's playing video games with friends on the big TV it's fine, if he's playing his computer with others on a Skype call he's a little out of touch, if he's attached to his phone or other handheld gizmo it's almost like he isn't there.

He's grounded right now until the end of school, because he got so into a video game for a couple of weeks that he didn't do his homework. Mom and I were talking last night about how difficult it's going to be to un-ground him because he has been so damn PLEASANT since we took all of it away. He's nice and helpful around the house, funny, gets down on the ground and plays with his little brother, lots of hustle when he's playing baseball. I don't know if it's for show so he can get his privileges back or if it's an actual brain detox, but none of that happens when he has full screen privileges.

We might go back to some kind of modified deal with hard and fast time limits.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Ours only gets to play video games if he does his extra reading from school. It works. He's by far the top reader in his class, and learning about all kind of shit in the meantime.

But ... but: Every time he has to get off the video game, usually after 20 minutes, he has an absolute nuclear meltdown. Full toddler mode. And he's about to turn 7.

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

That shit is tallied? #whereamI

7. Mr. Sunshine

Acronyms

JackReacher and Big Circus like this.
  8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

LTL, parents are supposed to set limits. Do what you know is best and just keep the electronics away from the child who obviously cannot handle them responsibly.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

sgreenwell likes this.
  10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Fuck, I never knew any of that!

Give me your number so I can text you about all parenting decisions.

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

We need a "likes per message" metric or something though. Look at all those fuckin' compilers at the top of the list.

Ace likes this.
  12. Mr. Sunshine

MisterCreosote likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted