1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'This is what it's like to grow up in the age of likes, lols and longing'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 26, 2016.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

How is not being able to interact with humans good?

LongTimeListener likes this.
  2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

They are interacting with humans. They're just doing it differently.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Should I be reading and commenting on this thread while driving on the interstate? Is that bad?

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Just slightly.

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I am fully convinced that parents who were born in the 1990s will think about giving a smartphone to teenagers in the same way that parents born in the late 1960s think about the idea of high schools having smoking areas. They'll wonder what in the hell the previous generation was thinking.

That said, I keep hearing about how society hates being "always on" -- yet nobody's turning off. Including me. I wonder what exactly I think I'd be missing.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Your comments are pithy, so you should be OK.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

My two cents, with my two young adults (ages 21 and 22): There isn't a quantity I hear discussed more than Instagram likes. My daughter graduated from college last week. At the celebratory lunch, her, her friends, and my son discussed what he was going to write to her on instagram. It had to be just right.

Later on in the afternoon, her and her friends were discussing someone's post, and how it was posted at the wrong time, and won't get a lot of likes because it will be buried under other people's posts.

I don't consider my kids to be shallow or vapid, though they certainly sound like it in this post. But I do know that Instagram likes are a "thing".

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I feel almost compelled to like every post on this thread.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Abbreviations are also a plus in this case.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I can't put any stock in the value of "likes," considering the three posters with the most "likes" at SJ are the three biggest dickheads here. :)

#jealousnotjealous

Donny in his element likes this.
  11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I don't thing anybody is going to argue that having all this information and convience is bad. The issue isn't that having and using a smartphone is bad, it's that like anything else young people aren't necessarily mentally and emotionally equipped to handle that much of anything.

I'm 35 and too often find myself fighting the urge to put off something important or not give it enough attention because I'm curious what people are saying on Twitter or don't want to fall two pages behind on a SJ.com conversation.

I can't imagine how strong that pull must be for a 13-year-old.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Maybe there needs to be a dickhead emoticon.

Vombatus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted