1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is what happens when you dump copy editors:

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Baron Scicluna, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

some fucker

2. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

They'll audit the writer's expenses and complain about how he had to travel to Atlanta to do the story - or heaven forbid, cost the company a long-distance call or two.

3. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

I'm glad someone started a thread on this.

While reading it last night, I was appalled enough by the error that I ripped out the page and brought it into work today to show everyone. They were similarly disgusted.

The funniest/saddest thing about the errors was that the first misspelling was when the writer was quoting a headline.

Also, Peavy's name was spelled correctly a few more times in other teams' previews.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

know much about journalism, yawn?

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The first multipage newspaper in the United States was "Publick Occurrences Both Forreign and Domestick " in Boston in 1690.

It lasted just one issue. Maybe it was because they mispelled four different words in the title of the paper. :)

(Note: yeah, I know the government shut it down)

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Sad but true, Ace.

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

There was another instance in which probably the best softball pitcher in one Division I school's history, a four-time All-American, had her name misspelled, by everyone, for three years because she, too, never said anything.

It's surprising how often things like this happen, and it's hard to understand.

Checking names should be Rule 1 for reporters, and I don't think there's ever been a subject or source to whom I've ever spoken without spelling their name back to them for double-checking purposes.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Earnie Stewart, a former standout for the U.S. soccer team, was also among those who were too quiet and had people spelling his first name "Ernie" for many years.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Good point. Maybe we relay too much on media guides, printed rosters and the like.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

At this point in SI's evolution, Mr. Petty ... he's not wrong.

11. And I guess her first name was Cat?

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

No.

I guess, like I said, you'd be surprised how much this kind of thing happens.

Draft saved Draft deleted