1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is what happens when you dump copy editors:

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Baron Scicluna, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Beancounters don't care.

Beancounters can't spell, anyway, so they wouldn't know the difference, especially when it comes to a proper name.

Beancounters major in math and accounting, not English. They count beans.

Side note: I once spelled an athlete's last name wrong the entire season. Not once did anyone bring it to my attention until the final home game, when the SID says something. I look at the media guide, and, yep, sure enough, it's spelled the same (incorrect) way that I had been spelling it all year. (No, the players didn't have names on the uniforms.) The SID and I remained friends.

2. hankschu

hankschu Member

Me too. Mr. Battaglia. His daughter was a senior and the hottest girl in school. Her best friend lived in my apartment building and was very attractive, too. The three of us walked to school together and my friends couldn't figure out how a nebbish like me could hang with those two. They thought I must have been paying the girls to walk with me.

3. hankschu

hankschu Member

First time I interviewed for a job at a daily, I misspelled the ME's name on my cover letter. His name was Hines. I spelled it like the ketchup. The entire interview was me apologizing and him explaining why I committed a heresy.

Funny thing was, he hired me.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hank, I think we had the same English class. And maybe the same teacher, too.

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

UCLA had a football player, Marcus Patton, whose name was spelled wrong for 3 years in the media guide and, thus, in everybody's stories. Just before his senior year, he told the SID. The SID asked him why he didn't tell him before. He said he didn't care.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The guy knew you had a conscious and would be more likely to double-check things from then on.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

C'mon, that's a joke, right?

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Heinz is to Hines as conscious is to conscience.

In my paper today there was an oh-so-typical screwup.

There was a 6-inch blurb about how today was supposed to be a near record for heat (91 degrees).

Because an art element is needed for "design" purposes, designer decides, "Hey, I'll illustrate it with clip art of a thermometer." Clip art, by the way, has become a regular staple in our paper since our revolutionary redesign a few months ago. I think "photos.com" has more photo credits than any of our staffers recently.

Anyway, there are just a couple of tiny problems with the clip art that was used:

1. The thermometer was measuring in Celsius only.

2. The mercury reading was at 20C . . . otherwise known as room temperature.

http://www.photos.com/en/search/close-up?eqvc=2917673&oid=4131474

Nice job illustrating a story on record heat. ::)

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That was before standardized spelling. No such thing as a misspelling back then.

10. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

I know copy editors serve a valuable purpose. Editors in general, do. We all need a second set of eyes to look at our work.

But shouldn't the onus sort of be on the writer to, you know, get their subject's name right? Read what they've written more than once, check for names and stats to be right? It's pretty easy to take a 2007 stat line and apply it to 2005.

We're writers because we hated math, but the concept given to us in 1st grade still applies - Check your work!

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Why don't we ask spnited since he actually helped print it?

12. SI & si.com haven't fact checked a story or spelling in three years.

They don't have anybody left to do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted