1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is what happens when I read. ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mike311gd, Dec 3, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

More than two years ago, a friend's dad, a life-long Orioles fan, gave me a book before I left his house. He said, "Take this book and read it. Trust me. If you're a baseball fan, you'll like it." The book, Peter Richmond's "Ballpark: Camden Yards and the Building of an American Dream," is pretty good so far. It's not one I'll read again -- and not just because it's more than two years' overdue -- but it's loaded with in-depth reporting and more behind-the-scenes information than I ever imagined would go into putting a stadium in a city.

Richmond does a great job of introducing the people involved with the project. Really, the reporting is outstanding, and the anecdotes for each person does wonders, at least for me.

But - and I don't think this was meant to be funny, and certainly not as hilarious as I found it -- I couldn't stop laughing at this passage written about a strong-armed, strong-willed person named Janet Marie Smith.

I had to read the last line three times before I could flip the page.
    -----
    She'd go to Yankees games and Mets games with friends; there was something more enticing to her about Yankee Stadium, planted in the middle of the throbbing streets near the Grand Concourse. Although her hometown of Jackson had acquired a Double-A Mets farm team, she preferred the Yankees for a simple reason: A night at a Yankee game meant a night at an urban environment -- she'd meet friends at a local tavern in the Bronx, have a meal, walk over to the park. At Shea, she remembers with some disapproval, you had to meet at your seats.

"One of the wonderful things about baseball is the city culminated in a sport. The field, the fans, the food tend to reflect the city they're in. An embrionyc version of wherever you are. I came to love it as much for the game itself."

There were downsides to the city, too, of course, and they revealed themselves to her regularly -- drunks and homeless men sleeping in the lobby of her building on Murray Hill. She was attacked one time in the elevator. Any notion of fear, she remembers, was overcome by outrage. She ended up chasing her accoster out of the elevator and onto the street.

"I ended up chasing him out of the building with a Fresca can."

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

That's quality.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

YOU ONLY WRITE ABOUT US WHEN WE DRINK FRESCA

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Actually, we worship cans of Fresca in Godless County.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

no wonder I got my ass kicked so much as a kid.

My mom armed me with cans of Fanta. FANTA!!!!!!

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You wouldn't have gotten served so many times had she not dressed you up in those orange get-ups the Fanta dancers wear.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Outing alert: BYH is Kiki.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Just holding a bottle of Faygo would have given you enough street cred to skate on by untouched.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

faygo.

That'd be like naming a kid Richard. Nothing could possibly go wrong there.

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

That's what you get for reading, Moops.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I know. I hate words.

Draft saved Draft deleted