1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This Is What Fear Makes Of A Country

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Dec 18, 2006.

1. alley -- Seriously, how is what I wrote in any way extreme? Neither Yoo nor Cheney nor Alito has been shy in expressing publicly their belief in untrammeled, unaccountable executive power, particularly in war time. (Yoo even dismissed inconvenient passages in The Federalist Papers as "inflammatory rhetoric," instead of the best window into the minds of the Founders that we have.) Despite what people say about those of us on the southpaw side, we have a healthy wariness about government power. (It's been aimed at our side more than at the other over the past century or so.) Give the executive this power, and it will abuse it. And you will have stories like this one.
    I don't think that's extreme at all.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

This is what happens when you have no oversight and no application of basic Constitutional standards.

Heads should be served up on a silver platter for this.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That about sums it up, 2much. That was a frightening story. If it gets some more attention, there might be some accountability. That probably isn't going to happen, though.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Shameful, just shameful.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

A stunning example that those who continue to make the argument that what happens it Gitmo or AbuGhraib or wherever is OK because we're doing it to terrorists just don't have a clue.

Once that behavior becomes institutionalized, we will do it to the wrong people.

6. dog428

dog428 Active Member

You know what makes this so bad?

This isn't the worst thing this administration is responsible for.

Shit, it might not make the top 10.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Head number one has got to be Rumsfeld. Too many instances of this for top Pentagon people not to know and condone this sort of thing. It's unAmerican and reiterates what a disgrace some members of this administration are and why I can't wait until its time is over. Every administration in the past and future will have plenty of black marks against it, but this one more so than many others. At least that's what my outrage is telling me right now. It may not be the most rational immediate reaction. The worst part is all the excuses made that really has these loons justifying it in their own minds.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Hondo's talking executions, not firings!

Draft saved Draft deleted