1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is the country we live in...and I am ashamed of a story like this.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Alma, Jul 11, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Junkie, are you this big a dick in the real world or do you just play one on the Internet?

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's Junkie's little game just to piss us off.

He also plays a right wing bozo around here but that's an act as well.

I know from experience he's an OK guy.

He's yanking everyone's chain.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

You've been pretty good dialing down the HTT posts, SC. Let's keep that going.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I've done lots of things in my life, but I wasn't aware that I was engaging in cultural snobbery by enjoying MoMA or the Guggenheim. Hmmm...the National Gallery of Art in DC has free admission. Since I wouldn't be paying anything to visit (unlike the other 2 museums) would I be a cultural snob for going there? After all, it's open to anyone. What about if I visited a museum in a small town somewhere in the midwest? When do you go from being someone who appreciates art to being a cultural snob? Is it based solely on visiting museums in NYC?

5. Flash

Flash Guest

Aye. You don't have to tell me that.
    I live in one of the older neighbourhoods, close to downtown. The house in which my wee little basement apartment sits is valued at $500,000. Landlord figures he could fetch $600,000. The house is similar to that posted by JR, minus the garage, plus a nice little yard.
    It's zoned R2 so some developer will eventually buy it, raze and put up a duplex.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

My question is a little more complex.

Assuming you can "get by" up there . . . at some point you either need to have your home paid off or have enough equity built up to allow you to buy a cheaper place elsewhere for retirement (because there is no way you want to be still be paying NYC rent in your 50s and 60s).

So assuming few if any of the New Yorkers on this board are home/condo owners . . . how long can the pay-rent-to-live-in cultural-capital-of-the-world life go on before reality sets in?

7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Yes, capitalism is horrible.
    There's still hope in China and Cuba, Alma, but I think China is wavering.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

There is a misconception on the cost. You don't need to spend a fortune to live in NYC. There are areas that cost less. There is also areas in North Jersey that are essentially extensions of NYC but cost less.

Those that pay rent, probably do quite a bit of saving/investing for the future.

9. JackS

JackS Member

Unless you're making the utopian argument that this money could be better spent feeding the poor, rebuilding New Orleans, etc., count me in with the folk who don't understand why this particular trivial facet of the (idiotic) automobile culture would make anyone ashamed. Let stupid people spend foolishly (nobody even has to own a car in NY). Overpriced parking spaces is among the least problems of the car culture. In fact, if it causes fewer people to own cars, then it's a blessing.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Whoah.... now was that Double-Secret Blue font... real sarcasm?

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Close friends own a really nice co-op in Queens. Their neighborhood is safe, their building is nice and they have 20-minute subway commutes into Manhattan. They both make good, but not astronomical, salaries and were able to pay off their mortgage in 5 years. Having a nice life is possible in NYC.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Exactly. A one bedroom co-op in Queens goes for about $120K. They aren't that expensive at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted