1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is the country we live in...and I am ashamed of a story like this.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Alma, Jul 11, 2007.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. Flyover's not better or worse, just different. I work in the center of a "metropolis" that checks in at just under 200,000 people. I can park pretty much anywhere I want at any time. The biggest nuisance is the way the essentially suburban/rural folks around here go into complete meltdown when they have to drive downtown. The one-way streets and big buildings freak them out...often resulting in behaviors like driving 5 MPH, stopping at green lights and general freakishness. And yeah, unlike NYC, there isn't shit to do around here.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Hey JR you should se it out here on the west coast. It's absolutely ridiculous, a middle class home in the suburbs starts at around 500,000

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Cool, that's the same price I am paying for my first home, a 461-sq ft studio condo in DC.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

C'mon Junkie, that's plain silly.

Other cities don't have MOMO, the Guggenheim, the best restaurants in North America, the Met, Broadway, off-Broadway, just to start. Besides other cities are not New York.

It's like Canadians who say "Why go to Toronto?I can do everything here in Podunk, Saskatchewan."

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The Queen and I bought a book: How to Retire in NYC Even If You Are Not Rich.
    Thus far, we haven't learned a real way to do that. It's something we'd boht like to do but I don't see it happening.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

To the very rich, and there are a lot of those in cities like NY, $125,000 is nothing. Its a rounding error on their statement of investments.

When you pay $20 million for an apartment in NYC, whats another $125,000?

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Are you talking BC or California?

Here's what $500,000 gets you in the west end of Toronto, bordering on the 'burbs

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

what is that.. 1,500 feet and a one-car garage?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

increaslingly, the new york times is comforting the comfortable on its real estate pages.

from another recent ny times story:
    life sure is a bitch when you live in hawaii making 700K a year and need to buy condo in nyc because of your 8-year-old son's modeling career.

i understand it's nyc. i also live in an large, expensive east coast city. i know real estate is expensive.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

No more than 1500 I'd imagine.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

My house, here in the Toronto 'burbs, is probably the same size and vintage as that one JR posted. We moved in 10 years ago last week and based on what other houses on my street sell for is worth almost twice what we paid for it. It's nuts.

Draft saved Draft deleted