1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is the country we live in...and I am ashamed of a story like this.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Alma, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/12/us/12parking.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

2. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

A story like this makes me so glad I live out in the back woods.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Apparently I have lived in the backwoods all of my life because I had never heard of this.

4. i live in new york but i rely on my feet and the subway to get where i need to go...can't remember the last time i even drove a car.

5. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

The most sickening segment in that story ...

She and her three children, ages 7, 9 and 11, live on Long Island, but the children’s modeling schedules bring them into the city at least twice a week, and the apartment they bought in the building will be a pied-à-terre.

“If we’re coming in late from dinner or we have a lot of stuff in the car, do we really want to have to walk a few blocks to get home?” Ms. Habberstad said.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to my world. Renting a spot around here can be as much as $400 a month. It's probably not a bad investment if you have the money to buy one, even as a place for rental income. I have never heard of a spot on the market, though.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Dumb inbred hillbilly question time: what in hell is a pie a terre or whatever that was?

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I'd be willing to be the condo won't let you sublet the parking space. And if you're spending a quarter-mil on it, you should probably be renting it for closer to $750/month.

9. Wow. $20,000 a month for a place to park your $20,000 car. Where do people get this kind of money?

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It's no different than investing in the market to make money. I don't have an issue with this.

11. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I was just reading that and making fun of those people myself. I feel especially terrible for the woman who failed to get in on the $160,000 spaces, because now her precious model children have to walk two blocks to get to their Manhattan apartment when they're not staying in their Long Island home.

Give the NY Times credit, though. It seems like every story they put in that particular space on their Web site, I invariably end up clicking on.

12. You can't really fault the guys leasing/selling the spaces. It's the idiots paying for them that amaze me.

Draft saved Draft deleted