1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is the best the Cubs could get.........

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

P-I-N-A-T-A, soon enough . . .

Chicken shit . . . chicken salad . . . yeah . . . right.

2. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

The difference is that Dusty always found a way to fuck things up in the playoffs, whether it was:

- not sending up a pinch-hitter for Mark Garnder with the tying run in scoring position in an elimination game against the Mets in 2000. Gardner grounded out to end the inning, and the Giants didn't get another baserunner.

- lifting Russ Ortiz with a two-hit shutout and only 7 outs away from winning the '02 World Series, then further tempting fate by HANDING HIM THE FREAKIN GAME BALL! The Giants pen melted down, and the championship was lost.

- not going out to the mound to settle down mark prior and the team after the bartman fiasco in '03. I don't blame Bartman for the Cubs blowing the pennant, but you could see the team's body language take on a "oh no, here we go again" kind of attitude.

Pinnella at least has won a World Series title as a manager, and won it with a team that had no business doing so. Girardi did a great job with the Marlins this year, but let me see how he does in a bigger market with a bigger payroll and the expectations that come with both.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So when Rodriguez joins Derrek Lee and Aramis Ramirez for their usual slow starts, the Cubs can be out of the race in May again. :)

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Exactly. I believe Rick Morrissey stated this in today's Trib (though it may have been Telander in the Sun-Times). Let Lou do the job or three or four years and see what happens, while Girardi gets more experience somewhere else. The Cubs job will be open again (Piniella is 63).

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Except that Girardi will have replaced La Russa in St. Louis by then and will be kicking the Cubs' ass six ways to Sunday.

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I like the move. Good hire. It will be nice to watch the Cubs play hard, solid fundamental baseball (fingers crossed).

Now go get A-Rod without losing A-Ram and fix this thing (fingers crossed really fucking hard).

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

It's been six years since that happened and I still can't believe it happened.

Of course, in dipshit's defense, it was Bobby Jones on the mound for the Mets, and who could have foreseen he'd miss a no-hitter by about three inches?

As for why the Cubs didn't hire Girardi, it's because he's an unmitigated asshole. Spnited is dead-on: Joltin Joe would explode in about a month in Chicago. Though, given the Cubs' idea of "media relations," I'm surprised they didn't hire him anyway.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If Fox really wanted to punish Steve Lyons, why didn't they get him the Cubs' job instead of it going to the guy he insulted?

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Can Prior and Wood be healthy enough to play for Lou? I still say those two should take 2007 season off completely. Saves the Cubs beat writers a lot of time writing about them coming back only to get hurt again and again.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I like the hire... I hope this means the Cubbies will be serious players in free agency...

A-Rod to Chicago? I've heard of stranger things happening...

11. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

I'd pay to hear Piniella sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" after a few Schlitzes.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Are you all convinced Girardi gets a job? He seems to be running out of spots. Any chance he's back sitting next to Torre next year?

Draft saved Draft deleted