1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'This is the average man's body'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

6-1, 180 lbs, 32-inch waist. I'm in the awful in-between of large and small. Larges make me look like an awkward kid who still needs to grow into his older brother's clothes. Mediums make me look like a hipster. I need some sort of in-between size.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Who's Todd?

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

The "model" in the story.

4. Football_Bat

Oh, OK.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

5-9, 33 1/4 this morning when I broke out the tape measure. Measured around the belly button, like you're supposed to. At my best, about a year and a half ago, I was down to 32 1/2, and I'm working my way back there now, thankfully. Combination of a new baby, a new desk job, and a halt in weight-lifting (recently resumed) conspired to pack on a little bit there for a while.

6. jpetrie18

jpetrie18 Member

5-11/190. 31x32 jeans, though I can go 30x32 on loose fits if desired. 15.5/34-35 shirts.

7. Dick Whitman

One thing I've learned is to never go by your jeans or pants size to figure out what your waist really is. Everything is vanity-sized now. Old Navy is the worst about it. At 33 inches, I'd probably wear a 30-inch waist from that store. It's ridiculous.

A few years ago, when I was tipping the scales at 215, I was rocking 38-inch jeans. I wonder what my real waist size was. Probably 40-41 or so.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

How many of y'all, particularly the fat people, wear your jeans at your actual waste instead of below your stomach? Dress pants?

[​IMG]

9. Dick Whitman

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

That's what I was talking about earlier when I said what used to be sized as a large is now really what an XL used to be. It's a correlation, a weird one but still, that clothing sizes have morphed just as sizes at fast foot joints have. What was considered a large when I was a kid (drink and fries are the prime example) is now considered a small or medium at best. I don't know how many times I order and get asked if I want a large. Without thinking, because my brain is set to default that a large drink is 16-20oz, I say yes and wind up with a half keg or Diet Dr. Pepper.

11. Football_Bat

Sounds like the reverse of condom sizes. The smallest size is always XL. ;)

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Dick Whitman, I prefer when you answer questions seriously. Jokes aren't your forte.

You're a skinny little guy. Where do you wear your pants?

Draft saved Draft deleted