1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'This is the average man's body'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Pretty cool.

5-foot-9. (I'm average!)

39-inch waist.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/10/this-is-the-average-mans-body/280194/

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Kate Upton is the average man, only with smaller boobs.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know the data says that 5-foot-9 is average, but I wonder if that's skewered based on Asian immigrants who are typically shorter.

I sort of feel like if you lined up 100 Caucasian males, the one in the middle would be closer to 5-10 1/2 or 5-11.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't think there's enough Asian population to swing it that dramatically -- 5 percent of total U.S. population -- but Latin American males are shorter on average too, and that would swing the numbers.

5. Mizzougrad96

That's a good point.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

39 inch waist - average?

Jesus.

7. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

5-5 and 31-inch waist. I'm below average even in Lake Wobegon

8. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

5-10, 208 pounds and 36 inch waist. And while this is far from scientific, I'm the epitome of the average guy because they never seem to have my sizes on the rack.

9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I'm perfectly average on the height (something I already knew. Though I'm like 5'8 3/4" if you want to be technical).
    Below average on the waist (though I can't say I've taken a tape measure to my waist. But I wear 32" jeans with a belt).

10. Mizzougrad96

6-3, 235, 36-inch waist.

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

6-0, 185. 33-inch waist. Seems avg to me.

12. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

5-10.5, 235, 36-inch waist, but my shoulders are massive (I think they span like 46/47 inches or something like that), so finding a shirt that fits right is a challenge. XL is too tight up top and 2XL makes it look like I am trying to hide my belly.

Draft saved Draft deleted