1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is taking the Imus incident to another level

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, Apr 11, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

ATLANTA (AP) — A bid to hang Coretta Scott King’s portrait in the state Capitol died in committee Wednesday, with the chief supporter comparing the failure to Don Imus’ slur against the Rutgers University women’s basketball team.
    The resolution would have urged the Capitol Standards Arts Commission to hang the portrait next to a picture of her late husband, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., but the three-member House Special Rules Committee declined to move the proposal Wednesday.
    “It’s just like calling Mrs. King a nappy-headed (N-word),” state Rep. Roberta Abdul-Salaam, told reporters after the hearing.
    “It’s another example of blatant disrespect for black women in 2007,” said Abdul-Salaam, a Democrat. “It’s worse than what Don Imus did.”
    Members of the committee did not immediately return calls for comment.
    Imus has been suspended from his radio show for two weeks after referring to the Rutgers’ players as “nappy-headed hos” on April 4. The shock jock has apologized but the public outcry has prompted some major sponsors to pull their advertising from his show.
    Abdul-Salaam said she will ask Gov. Sonny Perdue to issue an executive order to hang King’s portrait in the Capitol, but Perdue spokesman Dan McLagan said Abdul-Salaam should direct her request to the commission.
    Abdul-Salaam said she also has been stymied in efforts to designate Mrs. King’s birthday as a state holiday.
    “I’m saddened,” she said.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's funny.

Her portrait should be hanging there. She represented his legacy well for 40 years.

3. jboy

jboy Guest

Did Abdul-Salaam say anything when he heard rappers calling women ho's? [boom]

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

::)

5. boots

boots New Member

This country is fucked up.

6. girl friday

girl friday Member

I don't care to compare this incident to the Imus incident, but I do think she belongs up there.

Her birthday as a state holiday might be a bit much.

7. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Pretty soon, getting "Imus-ed" will enter the American lexicon. Kind of like getting "Swift-boated" or "boots-ed".

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I'd place a large bet that the phrase, "nappy-headed hos" has been uttered more in the last two days across our nation's high schools than in two decades previous.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I guess it's good that real nappy headed hos are getting some publicity, though.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Yeah, no way on the state holiday.

Unless they want to package it together with her husband's, give one to Jimmy and Rosslyn Carter and throw in presiden't day to give everyone a full week off.

Draft saved Draft deleted