1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This Is Piss Poor Coverage From The Dallas Morning News

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shawn-o-meter, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I don't know about financial reasons, but didn't BYU refuse an NIT bid because they would have to play on Sundays, or Notre Dame refused one because they didn't want the players missing more class time?

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I don't know how often it's been publicized, but teams have turned down NIT bids before. I recall Louisville back in the late 80's/early 90s turning down a bid, and I'm sure there's been others.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Fact-based, rational discussion now? On this thread?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It's spelled Shawon-O-Meter

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Dude, how do you know his name, or the name of someone he knows, isn't Shawn? This kind of bias is what made him leave this thread forever -- twice!

6. Devin

Devin Member

You guys are straight clowns, man. LOL

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Had you started this thread by saying, "I'm a young black journalist, and I've been hearing from a lot of SWAC fans voicing their displeasure over the lack of SWAC tournament coverage in the Dallas Morning News today. They feel it's a slight toward HBCUs, and might be influenced by racism (real or perceived) on the part of the media. Do you think there's any truth to this?" ... then we might have had a discussion worth something.
    It would have been ignorant, for all of the reasons we've already stated, but there might have been a germ of an idea there.

Instead, you came on here trashing the DMN for a coverage decision anyone with six months in the business and five minutes to look at the DMN website to see what they covered instead, could see was blatantly obvious. Not to mention someone from the DMN flat-out told you you were wrong.
    Faced with the obvious, you didn't say, "Whoops ... my bad." No, you doubled down on your ignorance and chose to call a large percentage of sports writers racists. After that, you invented your other message board where you've "heard these things" in a futile attempt to cover your ass.
    The reason I said you owe all those people an apology is because you've insulted them in several of the most heinous ways possible, especially as it pertains to this business. You insulted their integrity and dropped one of the worst labels in the arsenal on them.

If you truly are a sports writer, let me give you some advice. One of the first things you need to learn is "know your audience." It not only applies to the DMN in this situation, it applies to you, Mr. Shawn. You didn't come to a SWAC message board where someone named "TigerMan354" posts about why Grambling keeps getting hosed by the refs and Alabama State gets all the calls.
    You came to a site stocked with people who deal in facts and truth for a living. Your posts have provided neither. If you stumble into this hornet's nest, don't be shocked when people call you out on it -- especially when you insult them to the degree you did.
    Conjecture? There's a lot of other places on this site for that. Go to the Anything Goes board and have a field day posting about your favorite band and TV show. Over here, when you start something like this, you're going to get your balls ripped off and fed to you.

8. inthesuburbs

inthesuburbs Member

Please, Mr. Original Poster, I beg you, for your own good, to listen to what Mr. Batman is saying, thank him for his advice, and call it a day. Grow up a bit (we all had to), and come back anytime.

Unless you want to continue saying how you were wronged in all this, and we can go around a few more times. It is entertaining as hell.

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Between the Duke radio guy/blogger dustup and this thread, I don't know who is more stupid or which thread is worse.

Excellent post, Batman.

10. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Re: The race card.

Given your theory, every paper in the USA must cover the Stanley Cup Finals. Right?

11. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

My dad gets pissed at the local daily for not covering certain games, just like Shawn-O-Mac is talking about, and we had this discussion last week. I covered a high school playoff game featuring one team from three hours away and another from two hours away. He didn't understand why the local paper didn't cover the game. (I covered it for the paper from three hours away; the other paper sent a guy.)

The reasoning of the local is that if it spends $50 on a stringer to cover this game, to make that $50 back, they're going to have to sell 100 copies of the next day's paper, at 50 cents each. The chances of that happening are pretty slim. Most of the folks at the game are leaving town right afterwards, so they're not going to be around to buy the paper.

And I know papers can't use this formula every time there's a decision to be made on what to cover; it's just how I 'splained it to him.

But back to the SWAC: I can't find the attendance of the championship game of the tournament. There's no box score on the SWAC site, but I found it on one of the school's sites, but no attendance number was there. And the story on the Montogmery, Ala., paper is identical to the one on the DMN site, but it's not credited, FWIW.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

[blue] What? No updated stats or information on the SWAC website?!?!?!?[/blue]

While I don't really care one way or the other, I do find it interesting that the SWAC, and this is mostly true for all the HBCUs, are most likely to scream about the lack of coverage but the schools and conferences do a piss poor job of getting information out to the media.

Most, if not all, of the SWAC's SIDs also have another job in the athletic department like coaching softball or something.

Draft saved Draft deleted