1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This Is Piss Poor Coverage From The Dallas Morning News

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shawn-o-meter, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If you live in Utah, Utah Valley is lucky to get bylined stories in the Deseret News. I haven't seen any bylined stories in the Salt Lake Tribune on Utah Valley. It's what the readers want.

Did any "black" papers cover the tournament?

2. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I'm both a reporter and fan of a mid-major. I do not expect coverage outside of the university's hometown paper. I actually enjoy rooting for an under-the-radar team. Whining about coverage only makes the program look even more small. Get in the dance and beat a 1,2, or 3 seed and they'll be lining up to do stories. Earn the coverage.

My favorite team beat Georgetown last year. Voila, the front page of USA Today.

How many people do you think were going to read that story? There better be a hell of an angle beyond being the SWAC title game.

3. In Da Hood

In Da Hood New Member

I'm thinking this topic is a joke to begin with, but if it's not and you are really wondering whey the DMN is hardly covering the SWAC, then you need out of the biz.

TAPPS (Texas' private school sector) plays almost all it's championship games in our backyard. That doesn't make us obligated to cover them. The only coverage we give it is if our stringer feels like it (and usually he has to get an offer from another paper too) or if one of our writers gets a freelance gig from another paper.

It's funny sometimes because hometown papers of these schools sometimes call us the days of these events to see if we have a score. Um, nope. We care even less than you do. And at that point, even if we did, if you aren't going hire us to string it, why do we care?
    Know your readers, DMN readers don't care much about the SWAC, just like ours don't care much about TAPPS, so why waste what is becoming more and more valuable space?

And you really think the white-run media is racist when it comes to coverage? That's even more stupid than wondering why the DMN hates the SWAC.

4. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I can't believe this guy is really irritated at DMN's treatment of the damn SWAC tournament, as if anyone gives a crap. He can't be serious ... can he?

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Dunno. He seems to want to talk about it more, though, based on the two PMs I just got from him, both saying the same thing. Maybe you should PM him and ask him. You'd be doing him a favor by keeping him from further embarrassing himself on this thread.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

From his last post, I'd say he had an agenda coming in, and since our answers (all based in reality) didn't fit in with his mindset, that makes us all racists. But its like I keep telling tennis parents: As much as we'd like to be everywhere, we've got more inventory of things to cover than we've got bodies to go to them, so we stretch ourselves over what's most interesting to most of our readers.

7. shawn-o-meter

shawn-o-meter New Member

Oh, boy I guess I've stepped it this time with message board fodder again.

Well, the thread I started was actually a complaint I came across from someone who follows the SWAC very closely as a fan and alum of one of the schools.

She is really upset that the SWAC Tournament did not get much burn in the Dallas Morning News.

"My responses" in the thread were examples of statements I've heard and read over the years from SWAC fans and observers in regards to the lack of coverage their schools receive from both local and national media outlets.

Some of them believe that a racial component does exist when it comes to coverage, however. Many of them use the phrase "white media" concurrent with their complaints as well.

Do I feel the same way others do? Not really. Did I really believe the stuff I was writing in the thread? Nope. I have too much respect for the business to go down that road.

I've tried to explain how it all works to friends of mine who don't work in newsrooms.

There is a belief that the sports media only covers their school when something bad happens on campus.

Basically what I was trying to accomplish is to see what responses to this type of prodding would bring.

I should have just stopped while I was behind and explained my intentions before stringing people along on a message board.

I'm sorry if I personally offended you guys at all. That was not my intention. I was just giving examples of how some readers I've come across feel.

And if you guys think I'm the scum of the earth, then I guess that's the label I deserve for what has transpired.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Man, don't throw some woman under the bus. Own your vitriol

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And hard to believe, but it just got more awesomer.

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Yes. Yes it did. I'd rank it among the top 25 amesome-est (awesome-most?) threads in the history of the WWW.

11. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

I don't give a crap about most of the HBCUs, and I have no problem admitting it.

Hate to break it, but no one gives a shit about the SWAC tournament. Also, based on the timing of your bitching, I assume it takes place at the same time as about two dozen other conference tournaments, plus the women's tournaments that take place later.

Want coverage? Play the tournament when there is less competition.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

FWIW, the DMN did run a photo from the SWAC title game with its staff-written story in the print edition.

So there.

Draft saved Draft deleted