1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is our readership...*sigh*

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spikechiquet, May 16, 2009.

1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Point??? What does this have to do with the parents complaining about their kids playing time? I don't get the connection.

2. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Sigh....this is our failure.

For kids in rec league and little league I agree with the lady. I think making little league competitive has harmed baseballin the country and scarred kids. I also hate the youth travel leagues.

BUT...once you get to high school what an athletic team is trying to teach is dedication,discipline and competition.

This isn't about playing for fun, this is about competing. The fun of high school sports comes in competing, not playing. It drives us to excel and hone our skills.

High school sports are competition driven, and that is an important lesson we can teach. In a competition, the goal is winning.

We have it backwards in this country. Little League star flames out on the real diamond.

3. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Seriously? What is wrong with teaching kids about working hard to get ahead? What is wrong with teaching them they have to work towards their goals? The earlier the kids learn the "life is not always fun or fair" lesson, the better. Little league was not ruined by competitiveness, it has been ruined by meddling parents who can see no flaws in Little Johnny. I loved little league. I rode my bike to the game, kicked some ass with my friends, grabbed some ice cream and rode my bike home. One year my team won 1 stinking game, but we all had a blast. Now, with every parent thinking their kid could get a scholarship or make it big, they are IMPOSSIBLE to deal with. I actually had a parent ask me why we did not do a feature on her son, a marginal senior high school player, because it would help, maybe, get him a scholarship. When I explained to her it was not the job of my staff or my paper to get kids scholarships she got all bent out of shape because "the local paper should be supporting the local kids!" And the kid? He just kind of looked at me and rolled his eyes when she wasn't looking at him. The parents are the problem, plain and simple. And being a part of a team, even if you aren't the star or even a starter, teaches a young kid plenty.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

You're not very bright, maybe that's why you are a Republican.

The point is, you jumped onto Cadet for making a joke - so psuedo showed how you do the same thing. So climb off the high horse chief.

5. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Is this relevant to the thread? And my political affiliation has nothing to do with it (an aside, you got it wrong, by the way, so climb off your high horse, chief). Go ahead with the smartass response if you want, I will remain in discussion of the thread and let you have your clever victory. Well-played, big guy.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

parents whining...there back on topic.

:)

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I blame soccer.

8. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

You know, I was thinking about this today...

It spills over into everyday life too often. Last night, I had three passengers miss their plane, because "No one came and got us out of the bar." I asked him, "Did anyone call you this morning to wake you up, too?" OK, I didn't really say that, but I thought it.

But this sense of the "world revolves around me" is out of control. You aren't always going to get a fair shake at things, and the earlier we learn these lessons, the earlier we can adapt to society.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

it's nice to know there still are people on this board i care to read. TY.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

My son rides pine and doesn't do drugs!
    [​IMG]

"RUDY!, RUDY!, RUDY!"

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

So it couldn't be that parents think a private school can give their kids a better education in a private school. You know that its because they want to keep their kids away from people with black and brown skin.

My kids go to public schools - I am happy with the programs offered. But I can easily see why some parents would choose to send their kids to a private school. The LA Unified school district's dropout rate is 50%. The second largest school district in the country doesn't graduate half the kids, and many of the schools are terrible. I am sure its that way in other districts across the country. If I did send my kids to private schools, I'd hate to have people generalize that I did it "as a means to keep their precious offspring away from the black and brown kids in public schools. " There are other reasons to send kids to private schools beside your perceived racism of these parents.

How did you come to this conclusion - did you conduct a scientific poll?

12. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

You're probably not that far from the truth. I know the region of the state spike's from and my college roommate was from there. You're more likely to find a pole-vaulting sugar beet than a Democrat.

Draft saved Draft deleted