1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"This is our country, this is our truck."

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by NDub, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Does ANYONE at ESPN edit his shit? Jesus H. Christ, there's so much gristle and fat there, no wonder the final product weighs in at 7,000 words.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

OMG, I howled the first time I saw that one.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Now the only question is, does the commercial get pulled because of a rash of practical jokers putting coins through the pneumatic tube the the drive-through just to see if this happens? Hey, sweeps month is coming up, so look for it on your late local news.

4. In my never-ending quest to prove that I'm older than spirited, I would like to point out that, in my first job in the biz, we used those tubes to get copy to the composing room.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

This is our country, this is our truck. This is for fighting, this is for ... errrr... luck.

(Full Metal Jacket — Wal-Mart version)

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Geico commercials with the caveman still rule.

As for the Southwest Airlines ad for "Must Be Football Season" the guy throwing a pineapple to the cashier who announces "I'm Open" is solid.

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Oh, and JCM's ad is already there with Seger's Like a Rock Chevy ad. Call it Ad Nauseum.

8. NDub

NDub Guest

Don't ya think the whole "noob" thing is a little....well....stupid? It's as if my 300 posts aren't up to the standard number around here so I'm automatically some new guy who doesn't know shit. Why point it out? Does it really matter that me or BillySmith49959699 don't have 5k posts?

I know it's some running joke around here. Just kinda lame.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

You must be a real blast at parties.

Chill the fuck out. It's a message board. Relax.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Double J will remember this perhaps better than I but there was a department store in Owen Sound, Ontario that had those tubes running through the store for sending hand-written bills from the office to the cashier. I think it shut down maybe 15 years ago.

And you're a babe compared to Spinited and me, FB.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

You're right, it is a running joke. Emphasis on joke.

Unfortunately for you, few other people, if anyone, really care if you think it's lame or stupid. This is the way we are. You can either join in the fun, you can stay on the periphery or you can stay away altogether -- your choice.

We point out duplicate threads to everyone, not just people we assume to be new to the board. If it gets pointed out to you, you say "whoops!" or make a self-deprecating joke, and we move on from there. It doesn't get held against you unless you make an annoying habit of it, in which case your handle becomes synonymous with the practice -- hence the term "d_b."

It's bad form to just blow it off with a "who cares" and it won't make you any friends around here. Even if you're not interested in making friends, it does sound as if you'd like to be respected. My advice in that regard is to not act like you have a big stick in your ass or a chip on your shoulder.

Have a good night.

12. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Back to the point...

As a Mellencamp fan I greatly anticipated the "Our Country" campaign. But like most on the board, I think it's over-played. And frankly, it's not up to his standard. He must be spending too much time painting on Lake Monroe.

Nevertheless... HE DESERVES TO BE IN THE ROCK 'N' ROLL HALL OF FAME.

Look at the list of song and see how many you can sing the lyrics too...

JACK AND DIANE
    ROCK in the USA
    LITTLE PINK HOUSES
    HURTS SO GOOD
    WILD NIGHT
    JUST ANOTHER DAY
    I NEED A LOVER
    CHERRY BOMB
    SMALL TOWN
    CRUMBLIN' DOWN
    PAPER IN FIRE
    CHECK IT OUT
    LONELY OL' NIGHT
    AUTHORITY SONG
    and...
    His recent awareness songs "WALK TALL" and "PEACEFUL WORLD."

He's not a rock star. He's a famous talented musical who injects realism into a medium of fantasy.

I wish more celebrities would have a solid and stable social conscience.

Draft saved Draft deleted