1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is one way to save gas

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

You should watch the movie Danny Deckchair. Really neat movie about a guy who goes on a lawnchair-balloon ride and gets lost and all the hilarity that ensues.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Will someone talk some sense into my mother?

I caught wind yesterday that she's considering a scooter for good-weather days because supposedly she can ride it in the bike lanes. Worse, she's an RN and talk to any nurse and ask them what they think of any two-wheel mode of transportation that doesn't involve pedal power.

Stupid, stupid, stupid. First off, one idiot on the road and I'm taking care of both parents. Secondly, I wonder if this made her rethink that brilliant idea of trading in her superb little sedan for an SUV.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I had a chance to ride in a hot air balloon each of the last two years, but our local balloon fest was rained out both times. Bummer.

5. agateguy

agateguy Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Sam Mills 51

My mother has put the wheels in motion - so to speak - to acquire a scooter. Does someone wish to help me talk some sense into her? She's lost her mind.

7. Flash

Flash Guest

Meh, my mother still thinks her Cadillac is:
    A. a good idea with the price of gas
    B. a symbol of status
    C. in some small way connecting her to my dad, considering she bought with money from an insurance policy when he died, and Elvis

8. Sam Mills 51

A. Uh, no. Neither are SUVs.
    B. No again. And far too many people are running around in SUVs for status-related reasons, not because they actually need those things. While I understand that's someone's prerogative, I've run into far too many drivers of SUVs who seem to think their vehicle entitles them to more of the road - or worse, entitles them to be bullies.
    C. That one is a pretty distinct possibility. I've heard of many others who have attached that sort of sentimental value and memory to a vehicle.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

That my mother is batshit crazy is not news to me. ;)

10. Sam Mills 51

Mine isn't. But she's stubborn, headstrong, not very sharp with automotive sorts of things and the next time she listens to anyone will be the first.

11. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

12. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

My late great-grandfather, bless his soul, was the same way. Long after he was able to ride in a normal sedan due to his wheelchair, let alone drive, he still insisted on keeping his cadillac and still insisted on seeing it every day. The damn thing sat in his garage doing nothing but collecting dust, but having it still made him feel wealthy and important.

Draft saved Draft deleted