1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is NOT Your Father's Bowl Trinket ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by doctorquant, Jan 26, 2011.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

We had a lively discussion recently regarding bowl gifts (and other freebies). This story caught my eye as a particularly egregious breach:

http://dallasisdblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/01/d-magazine-editors-child-enrol.html

I enjoyed this chap's take on the controversy:

http://www.dallasobserver.com/2011-01-20/news/d-magazine-editor-tim-rogers-should-have-taken-the-schutze-short-course-how-not-to-humiliate-yourself-as-a-journalist/

Thought the board might find this interesting.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Another example of "its not what you know but who you know"

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm guessing if one of those editor's writers took a free meal, they would be fired in a heartbeat. Double standards for those in charge.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

D Mag? More like D Bag. "My kid is more important than your kid" is one of the biggest problems we have. Tool.

5. Meanwhile in Ohio ...

Here's a surprise.. The lady is black. I'd bet if this woman were white there'd be no jail time.
    This is a fucking outrage. Jail? For wanting a better education of her kids. PUh-lease.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I can dig it. My parents moved heaven and earth to get me into a less-objectionable elementary school, as opposed to the snake pit our address should have destined me for . . . and moved to a decent suburb just in time to keep me from going to a rattrap third-rate high school. And we're not talking race here, at all. White vs. white. Remain eternally grateful.

Draft saved Draft deleted