1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is my rifle, this is my gun...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Mar 25, 2008.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Hey Bats
    My brother is a cop. He has a standing offer of if you'll pay for the ammo, you can shoot the M-16s they have at the shooting range for as long as you have money.
    You just need to be in my neck of the woods to make it happen. If you come, bring lots of money. Ammo is expensive. Particularly ammo when you shoot at fully automatic and I think it is around 10 rounds a second.

2. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Just like killing a man! I swear this was going to be a Full Metal Jacket alert.

I"m not anti-gun, but I don't get the appeal. I also don't get the appeal of fishing, either.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. Before God, I swear this creed: My rifle and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of my enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Mikey better give his rifle a girl's name.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

My wife's relatives had offered a few times before, but the money issue is why I never pushed it. I didn't want them (or me) to be out a bunch of money just so I could see what shooting a gun was like. When we were shooting the M-1, someone mentioned that a box of "real" M-1 shells was about $60. We were shooting .30-06 shells. Most of the rounds we shot were cheaper practice rounds or stuff they'd had lying around for years and wanted to get rid of.
    And I found out how quickly you can plow through bullets on full auto when we shot the Mac-10. Two quick pulls of the trigger and an entire clip was empty. It's around 25 rounds a second. And I didn't hit a damn thing with it, either.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You're not going to shoot a man in Reno just to watch him die, are you?

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

You mean you didn't get the chance to use the world's greatest gun - "an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle"?

If you had used that particular rifle I would have said you were lucky you didn't shoot your eye out.

8. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I'm just kinda floored.

Batman has never, ever used a gun. Never had to.

Not in the comics. Not with Adam West. Not with Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer or George Clooney or Christian Bale. Not in Super Friends, not in Batman-the Animated Series.

And now, in the wake of Ledger's untimely passing, and in the run-up to the release of the next movie in the franchise, we not only hear that Batman's shooting guns, but he also likes shooting guns?!?

Seriously, what's next? Richard Branson's gonna buy Wonder Woman's invisible jet and put his logo all over it? Aquaman's gonna be able to talk to land-based creatures? The Wonder Twins find out they're not really related? Robin's finally gonna come out of the closet?

I wasn't made for these times.

9. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I know, it's like seeing the cops on "Chips" pull their guns. Just something you never expect to see.

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I received rifle and pistol distinction while serving.
    I have three daughters and neighbor children in and out of our home. Our home is firearm free.
    I wouldn't even consider a Browning or Patriot safe.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The cops on "Chips" were from L.A. They just ganged up and beat the shit out of the perp.

And westcoastvol, once upon a time Batman did use guns. Waaaay, way back in the beginning. Tossed people off rooftops, too. He was hardcore.
    And word around the Hall of Justice is, the next bombshell to drop is about Apache Chief. Not everything grows when he yells, "Inukchuck!" At least, that's what Wonder Woman says.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

That's pretty much what I was trying to convey with my uber nerd recall of quotes from various Batman graphic novels.

Draft saved Draft deleted