1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is my rifle, this is my gun...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So we head to the wife's family's house for Easter Sunday, like we do for most of the big holidays, and they have a friend visiting from Japan. One of my wife's cousins is hosting him for the weekend, and showing him around the rural south, and one of the planned activities is to fire off a few guns. I get to tag along.
    I'm 31 years old and I've never shot a gun before in my life. I don't have anything against them — hell, the wife owns two pistols — I just didn't grow up around them and never felt a need or urge to get one. So we head out to the pasture and I get to shoot a pistol first. It was nothing at all like I thought it'd be. I thought there'd be a lot of tension on the trigger, have to squeeze hard, etc. But damn if shooting it wasn't easy as pie. I fired off one round, almost got my ass kicked because in my excited state I swept several people with it loaded and the safety off (something that keeps haunting me the more I think about it, even though my finger wasn't on the trigger), then fired a few more rounds at the target tree.
    Over the next two or three hours I got to shoot several hunting rifles, several pistols, an M-1 Garand and a Mac-10. I missed out on an AK-47 and an AR-15 that they had shot the day before.
    Just ... just wow.
    For two days now I've almost felt overstimulated. It was a hell of a rush. Part of me feels like I've changed somehow. Like now I'm a man. Part of me keeps thinking back to the sweep after I fired that first round, and part of me wonders why it got easier and easier to shoot after the first time. It almost felt like there was a disconnect there while I was aiming.
    For people who haven't gotten into guns until later in life, is it normal to be like this after you shoot for the first time? All of these emotions and nerves swirling around?

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Change your underpants, son.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It got easier because you were doing it more often. Nothing more, nothing less.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I realized about halfway through that it was coming across as a letter to the Forum section of NRA monthly.
    "Dear NRA...I never thought this would happen to me. I went to the family's house for Easter dinner and sitting there in the closet was a real beauty. A Smith & Wesson .380 semi-auto with an ivory handle and a 16-round clip. Damn it was fine. I caressed it and, let's just say, we both shot off..."

Just didn't know how else to describe it. It was a hell of a rush I hadn't experienced in quite a while.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I would have thought, Batman, that when the guns were mentioned, you would have said, "A gun is a liar's weapon. It is a coward's weapon."

Then, when presented with the gun, you would have broken it in half and said, "THis . . this clumsy, STUPID thing. This is the weapon of the enemy. We do not need it. We will not use it."

6. Chef

Chef Active Member

Run for the hills.

7. Good god.
    Batman, what's the family gathering like when folks get likkered up?

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

If the erection lasts longer than four hours, consult a physician.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I haven't found out yet, thank God. They're pretty sober folks. Hell, one of them is even the mayor of this particular town.

10. gretchd

gretchd Member

I grew up with guns, but introduced my best friend to one last spring. She described some of the same feelings, for what it's worth -- the rush, the excitement, etc.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Hey Batman, is your wife related to my roommate's family? While the street I live on isn't the safest, I pity the newly ventilated mother fucker that ever tries to break into my apartment.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I've never even seen a gun in person, let alone shot one.

Draft saved Draft deleted