1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is just getting out of hand

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spikechiquet, Mar 7, 2008.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

OK, so one of the kids that I cover is vying for the Mr. Basketball title. He's a sick, sick shooter, but the madness of him is, just wow. I'm perplexed.

He's had a YouTube music video which has gone "viral" with over 30,000 hits in a little over two weeks. My part-timer started a Facebook group about him and there are 100 kids signed to it.

Now...this:

http://www.tuscolatoday.com/weblogs/tuscola-county-sports/2008/mar/07/sure-sign-apocalypse/

Has anyone else had this sort of hype over a high school basketball kid? Maybe this is how it is in bigger towns. But this just shocks me the coverage and weird things that happen around him.

It's fun to watch and makes for great stories. Anyone else been in this sort of boat?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

In bigger cities, yeah (See: Webber, Chris, et al..), but not in the Thumb -- or near it. When he autographs a chicken breast at Zehnder's... now THAT's special.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I think I heard of some guy named LeBron who made the cover of SI while in HS.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

What kind of fanboy looser bullshit is that?

And I swear to God when I clicked the link I thought it said "Brad Renfro."

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, he was good in The Client.

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

The good die young...

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Damon Bailey, anyone?

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I bet the Bad Axe Hatchets would shut this fool down.

Seriously, I may be the only one who has been to Michigan, and spent more of my time on the thumb than anywhere else in the state.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah but how was his outside shot?

10. dooley_womack1

That was a strange phenomenon, because anybody who is even a casual basketball fan could have known that Bailey was never going to be even a dominant college player. All he had was shooting.

11. dooley_womack1

He was good at shooting

up.

12. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Actually, it started as a joke. He made it for his friends that didn't live in the area. It was a public group and all of a sudden people started joining it that he didn't know. So, now a few girls at the high school help moderate. So, I guess I mis-wrote that...but yes, he's a huge fanboy of the kid.

Draft saved Draft deleted