1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This Is How You Write A Column

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Oct 23, 2006.

1. (Late one night in a bar in Algiers. Singing is heard through the windows.)
    OOOOOOHHHHHH!
    Immanuel Kant was a real pissant
    Who was very rarely stable

Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar
    Who could think you under the table

David Hume could out consume
    Schopenhauer and Hegel

And Wittgenstein was a beery swine
    Who was just as schloshed as Schlegel

There's nothing Nietzsche couldn't teach ya
    'Bout the raising of the wrist
    Socrates, himself, was permanently pissed

[pic of singing bruces]

John Stuart Mill, of his own free will
    On half a pint of shandy was particularly ill

Plato they say, could stick it away
    Half a crate of whiskey every day

Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle
    Hobbes was fond of his dram
    And René Descartes was a drunken fart
    "I drink, therefore I am"

Yes, Socrates, himself, is particularly missed
    A lovely little thinker
    But a bugger when he's pissed

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

All of the more reason why no one should doubt or question someone who is battling depression (fuck you Tom Cruise). It takes something monumental like Katrina, or something small, to trigger a downslide for anyone. For Rose, it saved him. For others, sadly, they never recover, if they take their own life.

This is something that several of us who have suffered or continue to deal with depression go through. For Chris to write this, I hope somewhere, maybe in New Orleans, or where this story can be read, it will save someone's life by finally getting help. For every Sylvia Plath, there is a Bill Styron. For every Kyle Ambogsi, Chris Rose is a living example of depression.

I hope that for all of the past debating of mental health with respects to Mr. Cruise, if you think or feel that something is missing in your life and if you don't see your life moving on to the next day, get help now. Not tomorrow or after that dayshift on the metro beat. Get it now. For all of us and for you. We want to read each other's posts everyday here, not think about "what if."

This is just me talking, but we do spend too much time delving into what's bad everyday. It's part of the job for most of you, as journalists, as well as average peons like me who have other occupations. As a sidenote, what do all of you do to get away and enjoy your time away from the desk and the beat? Read? Play with the kids? Take the significant other to dinner? What do we do to revitalize what our lives and go on each day?

3. D-3 Fan

Fenian, you need to flag this thread as a must-read, it's getting buried already.

4. PLEASE TELL ME HOW!

5. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Here's my contribution to keeping it up top.

6. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

This piece is really something. Can't stop thinking about it.

7. JackS

JackS Member

In the spirit of continued bumping, God bless Chris Rose!!!!!

8. Amen.
    (Bumping AND postpadding -- an SportsJournalists.com twofer!)

9. D-3 Fan

Bump and post-pad for F_B. :) I can't get enough reading this again.

10. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

I had never read Chris Rose until I clicked on this thread. He's now bookmarked ... and I'll keep this thread at the top for another few minutes. Wonderful writing and a very relevant and serious topic.

11. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Hey, Orange Hat, did you know Chris Rose is from Cleveland? Okay, not this Chris Rose, the Chris Rose from Fox, but still.

bump

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

This thread needs to go back on the front page.

Draft saved Draft deleted