1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This Is How You Write A Column

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Good gosh. I'm in awe of Rose.

Here's hoping he's got a long and happy life ahead.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That's one of the best descriptions I've ever read of depression.

Well done.

3. You're a charter members.
    You get a discount on the jacket to $174.95.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's not a gang.

It's an association of like-minded individuals fighting for social justice and the end of the tyrannical right.

Shit, Junkie, you're disqualified. :)

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That was an incredible column btw.

Just amazing.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

This is easily the most compelling read I've found that speaks to what I see around me in New Orleans (Katrina) and Lake Charles (Rita) and parts in between (both), a fog of post-hurricane depression and disease that has touched friends (3 deceased in the last month, two more diagnosed with clinical depression), family (2 members deceased three weeks apart in July) and others (still fighting the fight).

Thank you for writing this, Chris. Welcome back to feeling good. And thanks, FB, for posting it.

7. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

King Arthur: Well, we all are. We are all Britons. And I am your king.
    Woman: I didn't know we had a king. I thought we were an autonomous collective.
    Dennis: You're foolin' yourself! We're living in a dictatorship. A self-perpetuating autocracy in which the working class...
    Woman: Oh, there you go bringing class into it again.
    Dennis: Well, that's what it's all about! If only people would...
    King Arthur: Please, please, good people, I am in haste. Who lives in that castle?
    Woman: No one lives there.
    King Arthur: Then who is your lord?
    Woman: We don't have a lord.
    Dennis: I told you, we're an anarco-sydicalist commune. We take it in turns to be a sort of executive officer for the week...
    King Arthur: Yes...
    Dennis: ...but all the decisions of that officer have to be ratified at a special bi-weekly meeting...
    King Arthur: Yes I see...
    Dennis: ...by a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs...
    King Arthur: Be quiet!
    Dennis: ...but by a two thirds majority in the case of...
    King Arthur: Be quiet! I order you to be quiet!
    Woman: Order, eh? Who does he think he is? [/threadjack]

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Nice work, Del. I could see you, me and FB drinking beer and doing Python bits into the wee hours.

9. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

UPDATE:
    This is the excellent Monday Night Football column that Chris Rose wrote a few weeks ago...http://www.nola.com/rose/t-p/index.ssf?/base/living-0/1159890904114050.xml&coll=1&thispage=1

10. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

God damn that guy can write.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Wow
    Double wow
    My local metro runs his stuff on occasion. Now I'm kinda wondering why they don't make him a regular feature.
    And I was going to make a crack about how Jemele Hill makes more money than he does, but I'm not going to bother.

12. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I can see not making Rose a regular because his stuff is so New Orleans-centric. I mean, before Katrina, he used to do columns about pulling his kids out of school to go to Jazz Fest, how cool it would be if he would bump into Kate Winslet while she was shooting a movie in town and the dumbass "community activists" who bitch at the idiots on the Orleans Parish School Board.
    But now, after Katrina, it would be nice for him to get more of a national stage so folks will find out what's going on in New Orleans.

Draft saved Draft deleted