1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is how the Roman Catholics roll

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Dec 9, 2007.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Outstanding story about a detective's diligence in finding a victim of pedophelia...

And the never-ending coverup by the organization which instituted the country's largest institutionalized, organized pedophelia ring ever, the Roman Catholic Archdiocese.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-baker9dec09,1,1284217.story?coll=la-headlines-california&ctrack=1&cset=true

2. This is also how Pulitzers are won.
    What a great, great story.
    Good grab, poin'.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Every time I read a story where the pope or Archbishop So-and-so moralizes on abortion, sex before marriage, politics or what-have-you, I think about stories like this one where the Catholic Church went out of its way to bury a sexual-molestation case.

The church has sacrificed all of its moral authority, and it's because of cases like this one.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Heard this precise point raised, in many an establishment . . . and the true believers just cringe -- and don't say a word.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It's simply indefensible. Routine, but also indefensible. Your basic priests cringe at it too though. They're even more embarassed.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

God, if never ceases to shock me, though, that this was fucking systemic.

It wasn't rogue anything. Now, that doesn't mean that the average priest is a pedophile. But it damn well does mean that the church as a whole bears a stunning amount of responsibility.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The cover-up begins and ends in Rome.

Until these child-raping scum are fired and prosecuted en masse, the Church cannot opine on the state of society.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Just remember, boys . . . the first one's always free!

They know just where they can shove their collection plates.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They've all left.

It'll fall to Pope George Ringo I to clean out the perverts with a flamethrower.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

shit like this is why I'm a recovering Catholic. These people told me I'd go to hell for eating meat on Fridays yet can't figure out what to do about the kid fuckers. Fuck you, and I would like my 11 years of Catholic school tuition repaid...with interest.

11. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

I no longer feel guilty about skipping catechism one Wednesday night in fall '97 to watch the end of the ALCS.

YOU HEAR THAT, MRS. MCMILLAN?! YOU HOLIER-THAN-THOU BITCH!!!

(whew) I feel better.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Fuck Tony Fernandez.

Draft saved Draft deleted