1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"This is Ghost Rider requesting a flyby"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Apr 20, 2011.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

That movie was a product of the 80s, as were many of us, and that's probably why we like the piece of crap. The Great Outdoors with Candy and Ackroyd was regarded mostly as total shit when it came out in 1988 yet I still use the line about hotdogs being made out of "lips and assholes" from time to time.

2. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Among many great lines in the film, my favorite comes from Michael Ironside (Jester) ... "That was some of the best flying I've seen yet ... Right up until the point where you got killed."

And a tip of the hat to Harold Faltermeyer ... "Memories" (otherwise known as the "Goose is dead" song) has to be the saddest, most eerily haunting piece of instrumental music I've ever come across. Just amazing stuff. So fitting for that scene and a later one where Maverick is looking at a photo of his dad.

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Sorry, but that fucking "Goose is dead" song went on for at least the next half hour. Just on and on and on.... and on and on. From the ocean, to the uncomfortable bathroom scene with Viper to the scene with Meg Ryan to the 2,500th scene of him riding around on his bike in his bomber jacket, (A quick aside... why in the name of dogshit is he wearing a bomber jacket in the middle of a southern California summer? The mind boggles), to the scene where he almost quits but doesnt.... ALLLLLLLL the way until he shows up late for graduation.

Goose's death was tragic, sure... but he wasn't a fucking head of state, either. He gets five minutes of mournful music, max.

4. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Yeah, that movie was 1980s excess at its finest. Only the Bobby Ewing death/reappearance outranks it.

5. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

He was his wingman.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Bumpersticker. :D

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

is that even possible?

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

[​IMG]

My new avatar.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Re: the volleyball scene.

I always wonder how Anthony Edwards felt when the producers and/or directors came up to him before shooting and said "Yeah, Anthony, we'll need you to put on a shirt for this one."

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

You could, with a little disposable income, go to San Diego and have nothing but a Top Gun vacation

1. Miramar
    2. Kansas City BBQ in downtown has tons of Top Gun memorabilia in it. That's where the final scene of the movie was filmed.
    3. The Top Gun house in Oceanside, where Tom Cruise took "a quick shower," will probably collapse the next time a 5.0 earthquake hits. But it's still there.

I've got to admit, I have Top Gun on DVD and probably watch it 2-3 times a year.

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I always wondered why there was a Union Station poster on the wall in that scene.

(Only the last three seconds of the following video are applicable):

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'm sure everyone knows this, but the Top Gun program isn't at Miramar anymore. It's at NAS Fallon in Nevada.

Draft saved Draft deleted