1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"This is Ghost Rider requesting a flyby"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Certain people are incapable of logging off their accounts, and that is how accidents happen. Next time it won't be an accident, but it will be humiliating.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Crap.

3. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Yeah, my wife likes to do that to my Facebook account like posting, "I love my wife so much. She's awesome." Pfft.

4. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

If he leaves his Facebook account up, I just start posting Nickelback YouTube videos on it. Seems to work.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The Alyssa Milano poster might have banged the Brett poster, though.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Neither could this guy:

If you're not familiar with the Angry Video Game Nerd, let's just say he's a little ... colorful ... in his reviews. And Top Gun was one of his best.

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Amazing. I couldn't land either.

The more I think about it, the more it seems like I eventually got it a few times, but I remember it being the bane of my existence.

That was after like stage 2. What kind of shitty video game has a nearly impossible task after stage 2?

8. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

You guys could NOT be my wingmen anytime ...

Sadly TG not available for instant viewing on Netflix, but Top Gear is ... Sorta a lose win.

9. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

It was an awesome movie, but the star wasn't Tom Cruise or Kelly McGillis (who came out of the closet). It was the glorious F-14 Tomcat, which was retired in 2006 and replaced by a plane that is slower, can't fly as far with as much ordnance and just generally sucks. But hey, the Super Hornet is cheaper to operate...

The movie was very entertaining, but it had serious goofs.

[​IMG]
    The radar display in the cockpits was a sweep. The radar on a fighter plane is in the nose. The antenna can move up and down, but can not rotate to generate a sweep.

The real radar display looks like this:

[​IMG]
    I guess that doesn't translate well to the silver screen.

There are no MiG-28s. The MiG-29 was just entering service then. The actual planes Maverick flew against were Fighter Weapons School Northrop F-5 Tiger IIs painted black with big red stars on the fin.

And the whole talking Cougar down to the carrier deck would've been done by the LSO, the landing signals officer.

The flat spin, compressor stall was a realistic malady suffered by the Tomcats with the early engines, the TF-30, which needed a lot of undisturbed airflow into its core and was not designed for a dogfighting aircraft. The Tomcat didn't get a real engine until late in its career.

But it still was a classic. I always judge a movie by the number of memorable lines generated and so many of Top Gun's snarky dialogue have entered our popular lexicon. It's a cultural icon for sure.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I grew up in California, not Missouri,

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Did you have a Steve Garvey is not my Padre poster? :)

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Are you trying to merely humiliate or kill him?

Draft saved Draft deleted