1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"This is Ghost Rider requesting a flyby"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

This is still a great scene. I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

"I hate it when she does that."

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Posters in my room at age 12 (when Top Gun came out)... Alyssa Milano, Top Gun, Joe Montana, Julius Erving, George Brett...

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You hit the afterburners on that one.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Long cruise, was it, sailor?

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I always enjoy telling the story about the time I played Goose to my buddy's Maverick in singing this song to a girl in a bar once. We got the entire bar singing along with us — except for the 10 Navy sailors standing nearby, who didn't seem amused.

It worked, too. He got the girl.

6. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

See, for me, you mix in the NES Top Gun game, and it's all good. In fact, I just bought a T-shirt with the Top Gun logo on it the other day.

May have to change my ringtone back to the TG theme.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I couldn't land on the carrier in the NES game. I just couldn't do it, which made the game pretty much impossible.

8. Mizzougrad96

Three of my best friends are pilots. Two are in the Air Force and the other is in the Navy.

If you ask any of them when they decided they wanted to be a pilot, they'll all tell you that it was as soon as they saw Top Gun.

9. billikens

billikens Member

As always, full disclosure, I do the PR for AMC Theatres, and we're the ones re-releasing the film. We've started doing classic films during the last few months (Back to the Future, Sixteen Candles on Valentines Day, Airplane, Taxi Driver) and we've found there's some appetite for classic movies like this.

I remember seeing it when it came out on VHS, then putting the Top Gun Nintendo game as the No. 1 item on my Christmas list. So PR or not, I'm pretty excited to see this back in theatres.

10. Mizzougrad96

Damn, that would seem like a dream job.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken, the Navy has never seen a bigger surge in enlistments before or since Top Gun came out. They set up recruiting tables outside the theaters — that's how revved up that movie got guys to join the service.

I'm with you, Mizzou. You guys hiring, Billikens? :)

12. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Swordfight!

Draft saved Draft deleted