1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is freaking awesome

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Father of the Year candidate right here:

http://gawker.com/5990745/dad-overhears-sons-plans-to-come-out-assuages-his-fears-with-heartwarming-letter-of-acceptance

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Snarky lead was bullshit. Takes away from what the dad did.

And what's the difference anyway? Why didn't the dad write the letter before? Why did he wait until he heard this conversation?

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

He loses my vote to the guy who reprogrammed Donkey Kong for his three-year-old girl so that the princess saved Mario.

4. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Really? That's what you took away from this story?

But if you must have an answer to your question: The father probably didn't want to force the issue. People come out at their own time. When the father heard his son was trying to summon up the courage to do it, he figured that was the time to write the letter. The son was ready, so the father was ready.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Yes, I took away that that everyone's need to be snarky and political ruined a good story.

6. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Christ. Then ignore the fucking Gawker writer and just focus on the actual letter.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I hope your son grows up to be a Packers fan working for the RNC.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"I've known that you were gay since you were 6"

What were the signs. The way Nate threw a baseball? He liked show tunes? Liked soccer?

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I liked the idea of the note, not its execution. "We're out, like you now." I'm sure a teen already struggling with wildly swinging emotions on this topic didn't appreciate the flippancy. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

10. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I hope your son likes ketchup on the hot dogs he eats every day at lunch outside the Chicago Teachers Union headquarters.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Maybe Nate is now wondering if his parents live a gay lifestyle.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That caught me too, but sometimes it is that obvious. The kid across the street, his parents were anticipating it since he was in preschool. Sure enough, he was out before he finished college.

Draft saved Draft deleted