1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

THIS is baseball reporting

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dave Kindred, Oct 26, 2007.

1. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I am also a Shaughnessy fan. Yes, we are out here.

I thought he did a nice job this morning:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/10/28/lesters_feel_good_story_never_gets_old/

2. geoffcalkins

geoffcalkins New Member

Longtime listener, occasional poster.
    Gordo's the best, a wonderful fellow, a relentless reporter and an eloquent writer. Read his work for a week, any week, and it will restore your faith in things.
    Beyond all that, Gordo is also -- to steal from another thread -- one of the people who influenced me. I was working in Anniston, making $225 a week, when Gordo asked the Sun-Sentinel to hire a new Marlins beat writer so he could concentrate on national stuff. For no good reason, Gordo and Fred Turner picked me. It was a terrible hire. I had no business covering baseball for a paper that size. But Gordo helped me through, and helps me to this day.
    Thanks, Dave, for shining a light on Gordo's work, and for giving me the chance to thank him semi-publicly.

3. Kudos to Kindred for pointing it out. He's a pretty fair writer in his own right.

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

As one of Bill Dwyre's best hires, Gordon covered the Showtime Lakers for the LA Times during the mid-late 80s. Talk about the perfect storm of marquee team and marquee writers...

5. Not to thread jack, but didn't know Gabe Kapler was a minor league manager now. How his name has not been associated with steriods yet baffles me. Just maybe, maybe he was naturally able to get jacked as he was.

6. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Edes' piece was outstanding.
    Read in a long-ago Wall Street Journal profile of Gammons that he wrote his late gamer on Game 7 of the 1975 series in something like seven or eight minutes. Not sure I could type that fast on anything. Don't know if he had a manual, an electric, or that newfangled PortaBubble.

Draft saved Draft deleted