1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

THIS is baseball reporting

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dave Kindred, Oct 26, 2007.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Fantastic reporting and writing by Edes.

2. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Then again, if the majority of reporters were using their access to churn out unique copy like that, it'd be a little easier to convince the dear sports editors not to rely on wire copy.

3. In the ESPN interview right after the game, Papelbon said the dugout told him to do the pickoff move ... I've been wondering ever since how it transpired. At the time, I figured someone in the dugout just saw him taking too big of a lead and made some kind of signal. Had no idea they kept records of when the other team's slugger likes to steal bases ... what an obscure stat ...

4. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

HB, I hear that Gammons guy is pretty good, too.

5. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Edes: great writer, even better guy.
    Was very, very good to me and supportive when I started out doing baseball. Will never forget it.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Great read.

7. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

That was phenomenal, especially the shower detail.

8. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Damn, I love this place. Would never have seen that outstanding story otherwise; thank you for bringing it to our attention, Mr. Kindred.

And to find that legendary Gammons piece in the same thread? No matter how many times I've read it before, it gives me chills -- and makes me wish yet again that I could write one one-hundredth as well as he does.

9. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

I hear USA Today liked Edes' piece so much that they're going to run it . . . as a three-part series.

10. schrdp2002

schrdp2002 Member

Gordon is one of the best in the baseball business. I've been reading his work for years.

11. estreetband75

estreetband75 Member

Gordon makes Red Sox-Rangers in the middle of August a good read.

Always good to read Gammons' Game 6 masterpiece every once in awhile.

If anybody has access to his Red Sox Game 162 (1978) story -- looking ahead to the next day's playoff, please post it.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

The Globe may be going through upheavals like a lot of other places, but it is still a fine newspaper. Edes' writing proves it.

Draft saved Draft deleted