1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is a Wie bit pathetic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

You are right. I didn't even know she was playing until this thread was started. The AP thinks it is a big deal still, though.
    The headline on Yahoo! says: Wie shoots 78 at Sony Open, Donald leads

2. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

VIVA LA WIEBALL!

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Actually, perverts come out to watch her. No sane golf fan is driving to the Sony Open going "maybe today's the day." I had week long passes to the 84 Lumber in Sept and was gonna go and watch her in the Thursday round and thought, "why am I driving an hour and a half, hassling with parking and dealing with rain to go down and watch that chick put up more bogeys on the back nine than I've put up on Mystic Rock?"

Sure enough, tune in the ESPN telecast and she shot a 78 or something.

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

This was the worse of her four tries at this tournament:

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

D Squared beat me to it.

It's fairly common knowledge that Bivens would be thrilled to welcome Wie to the LPGA. Thing is, she and her entourage (read William Morris Agency, Sony and Nike, along with BJ Wie) want no part of it.

See, in their thinking, if Wie joins the women, she loses her buzz and novelty. There's nothing to differentiate her from the other teenagers out there (Pressel, et al). So in their thinking, all the ancillary elements that make her special no longer apply.

Of course, this is proving to be short-term thinking, which is hurting Wie's game and confidence, no matter what you hear to the contrary.

Here's a stat that proves where her game is at. Three years ago in this tournament (on her home course, BTW), Wie hit nearly 65 percent of her fairways. In her first round this year, she hit 7.1.

6. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I like Wie, but she's flatlining right now. She's got to pull it together soon, or lose even more credibility.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Actually, there's a huge difference between Wie and the other teenagers. They win tournaments. ;D :D ;D :D ;D

8. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

Who the hell is this loser kid that made the cut.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Someone Michelle Wie can't play better than ... oh wait, that's everybody.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken, Bivens already loosened the leash on the rules a little bit to allow Pressel to play full-time on Tour last year. She'd fall over backwards to accomodate Wie if she really wanted to play full-time.

Oh, and if you want to see someone's face light up, talk to a PGA Tour media relations guy and liken the Nationwide Tour to AAA baseball. They definitely don't see it that way ...

Draft saved Draft deleted