1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is a Wie bit pathetic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Hey she moved up to 118th, four strokes ahead of some guy.

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

I think it's best for Michelle Wie to concentrate on doing well on the women's tour. I understand her contract is with Nike and both she and Nike want to get publicity, but that isn't working. I think trying to play men's events might be messing up her concentration. Once she wins a tournament, I think she will keep winning on the LPGA tour but she had to break through.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Does she still have that situation where she can only play so many LPGA events in a year because of her age? If that's the case, I don't blame her.

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

She recovered with a par 35 on the second nine, but at 78 has little shot of making the cut.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

To keep Wie from being a laughingstock the PGA has to adapt a sexist rule.... no woman can get an exemption of any kind to play a tour event until she wins at least one event on a women's tour. That will keep Wie off the men's tour for most of (or all of) this season (depending on how much time her Stanford studies take away from her golf game)

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm going to say this for the last fucking time. Wie cannot play in more women's events because the LPGA tour will not let her join full time until she is 18. Period.

She plays in the men's events because she can get sponsor's exemptions to them.

Because she is a pro, she cannot play in amateur events.

Does everybody understand these concepts? Cause some you sure seem not to

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

People come out to watch her, freak show that she's become, and that puts money into people's pockets. That's the good. That man that she's taking a place from (how dare a woman do that!) is probably not gonna make the cut either, and he's not gonna bring in the bucks that she does.

I'm not saying it's good for her, because I don't see how it could be since she's not competitive, but it is what it is.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Bivens has made it pretty clear she would be willing to work out some kind of exemption based on her ranking, SC. So that argument isn't as strong as you'd like anymore.

It also doesn't account for the humiliation finishing DFL every tournament she enters. At some point, Nike and B.J. Wie need to get together and say, Ok, this is isn't helping her marketability. It's hurting it. Let's have her kick ass in 15 events on the LPGA tour, or the Women's European tour if the LPGA won't give her an exemption, and actually have her learn how to play golf, which will make her, and us, far more money in the long run.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I disagree Junkie. I went to a - gasp - Nationwide event on my time off to see her play. The only reason I went was to watch Wie. I think plenty of people still go to see her, because if she becomes something great then people can claim they saw her when she was young.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I understand the concepts, but like others have said its hurting her image and her marketability to play in the PGA events and fail like she has. Why not take the extra weeks off and work on her game? Why not play on the Nationwide Tour? The Nationwide Tour is for professional golfers who missed the cut at Q-school to get their PGA tour card. It's still a professional tour, she's still getting the professional experience, but she'll be playing events she has a better chance of winning.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I see what you are saying with the marketing scheme, I was just trying to draw a parallel to the fact that I paid money to go watch her play at an event I never would have gone to otherwise.
    I think she still draws, maybe not as good as when was first getting exemptions to play in PGA events, but still better than a random alternate.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I really didn't notice much pre-tourney hype about her appearance this weekend. The novelty may be wearing off a bit.

Draft saved Draft deleted