1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is a Wie bit pathetic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Jan 11, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

In yet another feeble attempt to make a cut in a PGA event, Michelle Wie is 8-over through nine holes and has yet to hit a green in regulation. She's in last place, four shots back of one of the club pros who qualified.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

When she finally does make a cut will anyone even care because she has been trying and failing for so long?

3. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

But she gets so much more attention and publicity by failing on the men's tour then succeeding on the women's tour. [/Wiepublicistlogic]

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Honestlt, Wie playing on the men's tour is getting a little old for me, and I think everyone. Did you see any hype about this before today when she fell flat?

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I agree. My thoughts on this have changed. I used to think it was cool that she was attempting to play in men's tournaments, but now I am swining the other way and thinking she should go attempt to dominate the women's tour for a couple of years and then come back to the PGA.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Or win an event on the LPGA Tour even.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I don't mean to knock her, because I think she wins at least one title on the LPGA Tour this year. Her record in majors is very strong despite not having won yet. I agree with you Angola, and I think she could.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Very true. The general public acts like she has won a ton of events, when in reality she is just a young phenom that has gotten an inordinate amount of publicity. I think she could do very well on the LPGA Tour if that is all she was concentrating on.
    How much will her going to Stanford affect her?

9. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

I'm so beyond over the Michelle Wie thing. It's sad and pathetic now. I'm actually beginning to wonder if she hasn't done irreversible harm to her career. She's kind of turning herself into a laughingstock. It's not always easy to climb out of that hole.

She may have a lot to offer the LPGA, down the road, but she's not even close yet.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I think she has a lot to offer right now to the LPGA and that is money. She is still a draw and that is more than some random women's golfer that I can't name who is probably really good can say. (Not sure if that made sense, but I don't care).

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Hello? She's finished in the top five in Women's majors more than once, and I know runner-up at least once. She is very, very good against women.

12. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

OK, but what I'm saying is her massive and frequent failings on the men's tour are starting to overshadow anything she does against the women. That's a dangerous place for her to be in.

Draft saved Draft deleted