1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"This is a social catastrophe"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

So says a Time Magazine column by Rich Lowry, the editor of National Review.

It's behind a paywall, unfortunately:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2107496,00.html

However, I think we all have thought about the issue enough to discuss whether he's right. According to Lowry, citing the New York Times, more than 50 percent of births to women under 30 now occur outside of marriage. Lowry cites social science that notes that children in two-parent households are more likely to graduate from high school, finish college, etc., etc.

Thoughts? Is "social catastrophe" going too far? Is this a case where correlation does not equal causation?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Re: "The is a social catastrophe"

Correlation with what?

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Correlation between those social ills and a single-parent household.

Is the real correlation between poverty and a single-parent household?

I'd be more interested to see how kids of the same economic means do when one is in a single-parent household and one is in a traditional household.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Kids raised in mom-only homes tend to be poorer, for obvious reasons. Poverty correlates with a lot of bad outcomes in life. The two aren't unrelated.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Times gave this issue a big writeup last week:

I guess I'm not sure what to think.

If you say it's a problem, it's like you're making a moral judgement regarding single parenthood, which people get defensive about and reject.

But, if you don't address it as a problem, you won't get improvements. We end up sustaining generational poverty.

And, it might not be a perfect pairing to this article, but I thought this one in today's Times was interesting:

Is this a problem? If so, how do we address it?

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I'd like to hear arguments as to how this trend is a good thing --for the children and the parents. It's a lot closer to catastrophe than the other end of the spectrum.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I wonder how many of the unmarried moms the Right are complaining about (a) are devoutly religious and (b) don't have easy access to birth control, nor knowledge on how to properly use it, in large part due to social stigmatism brought about by (a).

Hmmm, I wonder how we could go about greatly decreasing the number of babies born in poverty to single moms?

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think a lot of these women (girls) actually want to have babies, or at the very least aren't trying to avoid having them.

I'm not sure greater access to birth control or better info about it would make that much of a difference.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

You seem to really care.

10. Re: "The is a social catastrophe"

I wonder how history would have been different if Barack Obama's or Bill Clinton's mothers had easier access to abortion services.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Coincidentally, for some odd reason I got an email at work from actress/conservative talk show host Janine Turner about this very subject.

As it turns out, Turner is a single mother. And her point was that consevatives were doing themselves no favors demonizing (I'm not sure if those were her exact words) single mothers and their children -- mainly, because they are such a large demographic. And, also, because every single mother has a different story -- they're not all trailer park queens sopping up welfare. Or words to that effect.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

But, but, but, conservatives -- especially of the white male variety -- know better than anyone how unwed single minority moms should live their lives. If you doubt me, just look at the posts above.

Please tell Turner to go find a job!

Draft saved Draft deleted