1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is a new low from ESPN, IMO

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Illino, May 12, 2011.

1. Illino

Illino Member

http://twitpic.com/4wq8l4

The post has since been added to (http://twitpic.com/4wqa6v), with the depth chart bring a smaller note in the overall post. But the original? That's just not OK where I come from.

EDIT: I'm not saying the new post is any better.

EDIT: The original (photo 1) states: Possible starter found dead in Jacksonville, opening door for five-star signee Cyrus Kouandrjio.

EDIT: The second posting (photo 2), which has been removed from ESPN.com, states: "Looks as if Nick Saban was prescient when he gave rising senior OL Alfred McCullough and rising junior RG Barrett Jones snaps at LT this spring. In what qualifies as devastating news on the heels of the tornadoes that flattened Tuscaloosa, juco OL Aaron Douglas, who was recruited specifically to replace James Carpenter at LT, was found dead in Jacksonville on Thursday.

"Although it's far from the most important result of this development, Douglas' death leaves the door wide open for five-star OT Cyrus Kouandijo to seize the job when he arrives this summer. If Kouandijo is slow to pick up the offense, Jones could open the season as the start, as Saban said that MCcullough is more of a natural guard (he's only 6-foot-2,"

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Re: This is a low from ESPN, IMO

Well, since I can't read the new link because I'm not an insider, I can only comment on the first one.

A friend sent it to me just a few minutes ago. It apparently comes from something called Rumor Central. I don't know shit about RC, as it was headed up by a different group than I worked for. But, working under only assumptions (which I'm sure you'll all point out how wrong I am about it), it seems to be from THAT POST ALONE a largely recruiting segment. So ... while it might not be worded the best, I think it hits their target audience, yes?

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

For those of us who can't open either, what is it?

4. Illino

Illino Member

Sorry, I assumed it was a public Twitpic since it was from someone I don't follow. I posted the original text in my original posting and I will work on the second.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Again, let's clarfiy: This is not something on the main site. It's not a front-page headline, and it's not the focus on their main story, which is here: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6534274

It's in Rumor Central, which again I can't speak to, but could very well be a blog-type thing where reporters/posters post things without them being vetted.

Saying it's a new low for ESPN, like it appeared as a news story without any kind of explanation that it's NOT, is misleading at best.

6. Illino

Illino Member

Well I, and many professionals on Twitter, strongly disagree.

Also, I called it "post" from the get-go, not a story, so I don't think I am trying to mislead people into believing it was an actual story on the front page.

7. nate41

nate41 Member

Regardless, thought the wording was poor and it could have been handled better.

Depth chart changes and death are two entirely different things...

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you're talking about what a player's death does to the depth chart, you should be slapped.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It's a death chart.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It's been removed, apparently.

11. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Do you think one of the three-star guys gets elevated to four stars as a result? I don't have an Insider subscription, so I can't tell yet.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Predictable and lame.

Draft saved Draft deleted