1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is a good sheriff

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Apr 10, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

Sheriff Gives Himself a Ticket

GREEN BAY, Wis. — Brown County Sheriff Dennis Kocken didn't have to write himself a ticket. But he says it was the right thing to do.

"As sheriff, I'm held to the highest standard in law enforcement. How can I hold officers accountable if I don't hold myself accountable?" he said. "I'm satisfied I'm doing the right thing."

Kocken issued himself a ticket March 27 for an unsafe lane change, three weeks after he had rear-ended a suspected speeder after that driver slowed to turn. Neither the deputy who completed the accident report nor the Brown County district attorney's office felt that Kocken deserved a citation.

"But it kept bothering me," said Kocken. "Finally I decided to write myself a ticket. I felt it was the right thing to do."

The ticket carries a $160.80 fine that Kocken said he fully intends to pay.

The 52-year-old sheriff told investigators he was trailing a vehicle to determine its speed when he had to swerve to avoid a snowblower wheel in his lane. He moved into the other driver's lane and hit the car when the driver slowed.

The ticket marks the second citation in seven months that a state law enforcement officer assessed to himself. In September, Chief Dick Knoebel of the Kewaskum police department wrote himself a $235 ticket for passing a stopped school bus.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Man, what would W have to cite himself for?

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Easier to say what he wouldn't...

4. mass fucking murder

5. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Would you start with that one or let it be the capper after starting with treason?

Draft saved Draft deleted