1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This investigation is for all the Tostitos

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yep.

Cotton Bowl is the front runner and it's really not close. Best non-BCS stadium and a bowl operation on par with or better than the current BCS games.

Citrus Bowl has the same problem the Cotton Bowl did when the BCS was formed. It's stuck in an inferior stadium.

2. Armchair_QB

So is the Orange Bowl for that matter.

But they're both already in the BCS.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Only bowls played in decent football stadiums are Little Caesars Pizza (Ford Field in Detroit), Texas (Reliant Stadium in Houston), Meineke (Bank of America in Charlotte), Outback (Raymond James in Tampa), Fiesta (University of Phoenix in Arizona), Cotton (Jerry World, Dallas) and I'm still partial to the Rose Bowl, which has started a renovation.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd figure it would be the Cotton - if only for somewhat geographic equity, especially if the conference tie-ins remain as is.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Need a stadium that's not crumbling on the heads of spectators, a field that isn't coming up in huge chunks and in a neighborhood that doesn't make Beirut look like Mayberry.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Superdome and Pro Player (or Landshark Stadium or whatever the hell they're calling it now) are both far, far, far superior to Citrus Bowl.
    Jacksonville would ahead of Orlando in terms of stadium. It's NFL quality. But it would be obvious that the Cotton would replace the Fiesta if it came to that.

7. Armchair_QB

I'm hearing the Fiesta Frolic is cancelled for this year.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Once of the articles in the Arizona Republic (nice job guys) said the board of directors viewed themselves as mostly there for the parties. You get a jacket, show up for a few meetings every year, go to a bunch of football games on someone else's dime and have a good time.
    Supposedly the payoffs to the pols were to gain support for the Glendale Stadium Prop 302. Which is paid for by car rental taxes, hotel taxes and sales tax at the stadium.

9. This is the tip of the iceberg. And I think the beginning of the end for the Bowl System.

From Wiz of Odds ....

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Maybe this is the best thing that ever happened to the Phoenix Coyotes.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I laughed at that...

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If Arizona voters actually cared about their state, they'd take over the Capitol until every legislator or other elected official who went on a junket to see a football game resigned. Those legislators should be jailed.

BCS official backtracking on statements suggesting the Fiesta Bowl could lose its BCS spot after it was revealed he and others took gifts from the Fiesta and Orange bowls.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2011/03/31/20110331fiesta-bowl-bcs-stance.html

Draft saved Draft deleted