1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This idea would RULE here

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, May 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Noticed on another message board the have a forum called The Thunderdome. That's where people go to duke it out with each other. The description: "Got a problem with another board member? Duke it out with them here. But please no libel, slander, or threats."

Only problem is 90% of the board will spend 100% of their time there if Webby created.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Also, 90 percent of the fight threads would violate the libel, slander or threat rule.

3. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

And would have the same 5 or 6 people involved.

But, we might get some great new sig lines out of it.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yes that is exactly what this board needs. ::)

If you REALLY believe that is the level of discourse SportsJournalists.com needs -- and that is what you are looking for in a message board -- PLEASE visit the thunderdome board and grace them with everything you have to offer. We won't harbor any animosity or think any less of you. It's how you want to spend your time online and that is OK. It's also not what this board is about, and unfortunately a lot of people have signed up and become somewhat frequent posters, and don't understand this.

That wasn't directed to you TSP, and this post isn't a slam. That is not what SportsJournalists.com is about and anyone who wants SportsJournalists.com to be that, should probably find another place, is all.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

We would have to set more groundrules:

Like, no cross-threading with stuff that happened in the thunderdome.

6. He's beyond that kind of thing anyway.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

TSP, I tried to start such a thread a few months back. It was a complete failure. I'm sure it would have been more positively received if it had came from the mods rather than a pain in the ass like me, but I completely understand why they wouldn't want it.

Ragu, the fights happen on this board. SportsJournalists.com already has that level of discourse at times. Threads get locked due to stupid pissing matches. Some are worse than others, but I think that is a part of most message boards.

I don't see anything wrong with something like a Thunderdome or a "Brawl Thread" (I think that's what I called it) if the purpose was to give posters a place to take pissing matches before they ruin other threads. That was the point when I suggested one by starting a thread. Unfortunately, I don't think it would work and I came to realize it might just make things worse.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

OOP, You are explaining to me that people sometimes act like jerks on here, threads get locked and there are pissing matches?

It may be a part of message boards, as you said... So is a webmaster who can ban people.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

There's this swell little innovation on here called PMs. If you feel the urge, turn that into your own little Thunderdome with whomever you want. Otherwise, quit screwing up the joint with petty personal bullshit. Most of us stopped courting audiences for our fights sometime during high school.

10. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

The first rule of the Thunderdome thread is you don't talk abuot the Thunderdome thread. The second rule of the Thunderdome thread is YOU DON'T TALK ABOUT THE THUNDERDOME THREAD.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Funny, you don't seem to hold yourself to the same standards

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Speaking as a former board administrator and a longtime board denizen of several Internet boards, that idea would completely fail here.

It's been my experience that when you create threads or boards specificially to bitch people out, it causes nothing but rancor. Such boards or threads do NOT contain the bullshit. Eventually, said bullshit makes its way into the main board and into other boards.

If you have a problem with someone, take it up via PM. Don't want to deal with someone, you know what to do. And that doesn't involve bitching people out on the board for all to see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.