1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This gentleman has character.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Neutral Corner, Dec 25, 2015.

1. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Anyone from SJ really think this guy is standing up to Adelson?

Guy is just looking for others to fund his life after he and his wife failed to find alternative employment.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  2. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I wasn't trying to pile on, but if this exact same story played out with a couple that were accountants, lawyers, doctors, secretaries, teachers, sanitation workers, any profession other than journalists, everyone here would be pounding them about this BS cover story about standing up for what's right, and wondering why they won't be pulling their share of the load and not live off donations.

But because it's a newspaper reporter, they get the kid glove treatment.

I don't think it's smug as shit to ask the same question I asked earlier and JohnHammond did here: How is donating to their gofundme account helping him to stand up to Adelson?

3. JohnHammond

A year ago, knew a guy who lost his job and was struggling to pay the bills. Started a GoFundMe to raise $5k to keep his 7--year-old daughter in dance. Generated a lot of heat, since tons of people were willing to help with day-to-day expenses and medical bills. Asking for help with an expensive hobby was a bit tacky.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

So a guy wants somebody to pay for his daughter's dance and he doesn't have rich parents. What would you have him do? Steal?

This is what the American economy reduces people to, understand. Sympathy pleas for hobbies.

5. JohnHammond

Even you don't have that much charity to support $500/month dance expenses.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Only someone who either believes himself to be unemployable, or who isn't interested in working, quits their job, and sets up a website to beg for money within 24 hours.

And this is a GoFundMe he reluctantly set up to help our family keep our heads above water: https://www.gofundme.com/yvg95ahr

Yeah. Dad was so reluctant to set it up, it took him a whole day to break down and agree to it.

studthug12 likes this.
  7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I just looked up a respected dance studio in my area. Attending two dance classes a week would run about $1400 a year.

Yes, I think someone who is depending on the kindness of friends to get by is probably pushing his luck to ask for $5,000 for dance classes for a 7 year old.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Tell that 7 year old to run a paper route and mow some lawns.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Why can't he just borrow $10,000 from his daddy?

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He needs $20,000, not $10,000.

I wonder if there are many cappuccino machines in Bristol?

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I'm not sure anyone here is intending to go easy on him because he happens to be a reporter.

We're just intelligent and realistic enough to know that his "fundraising" efforts are unlikely to last very long or get him very far, and we're not making a big deal of it because of that.

The reporter will have to get another job, and move on soon, just like everybody else, and if he doesn't realize that...well, then he shouldn't have quit the job he had. I'm sure he just got tired of doing what he was doing, for the guy he was doing it for, and used this "stand" as a way out. But in the end, that's all there was to it, and he'll find that out soon enough.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  12. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

He should bake some cookies and send his daughter out on the street corner to sell them at a 100 percent mark-up like a good capitalist

Draft saved Draft deleted