1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This ever happen to you?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bigpern23, Oct 8, 2007.

1. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Ya know, kids, some of us are old enough that it was legal for us to drink in bars when we were in high school. ;)

My favorite story along these lines involves running into a former student (she was of legal age) in a fetish club on a back-to-school night. She was wearing appropriately placed duct tape, a plaid ski (too short to call a skirt) and boots. Now, this is a kid who used to babysit my kids (again, she was 24 or so at the time).

She hid behind her boyfriend the rest of the night.

2. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

I'd keep it quiet for now.

But I might tell her that it's easy to go out and drink, but it's better to discover how good you really can be at this age if you're up for the challenge.

Coupla drinks? Sure. See what it's like to be out and about.

But the big picture should be the big picture at that age. How high can you reach?

3. KoM

KoM Member

Sort of a funny story from a few weeks back...
    a good friend of mine who is considerably younger - mid 20s - but works in the business invited my wife and I over for a cookout. I covered the host when he played high school golf, and we regularly joke about it. As more and more people started arriving, I started counting, and probably 8 out of 10 of them I covered playing various high school sports when they were in school. It started feeling a little odd with all of them saying "Hey, Mr. KOM." I told them Mr. wasn't necessary, and we went along with the evening.

My wife and I were sort of detached from the merriment, chilling with a beer, hanging away from the heavy drinking and the playing of corn hole (yes, it's a game). I just happened to be the one closest to the loud radio that was blasting some crap I was unfamiliar with. The host got my attention and made the turning motion with his hand.

I said, "You want me to turn the radio down?" He said, "No. Turn it up."

That's when I knew it was time for us leave.

Draft saved Draft deleted