1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This ESPN-Arena Football partnership is already beginning to reek...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Mar 4, 2007.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I've actually covered several AFL games. The games, indeed, are tough. The outcome can change completely in the last few minutes of the game. A single defensive stop can change the game. So, you find yourself talking about how Tampa pulled out a win after its defense finally got a stop after giving up nine straight touchdowns.

AFL is legitimate enough that it deserves more play, and that's why ESPN decided to take a chance on it. This is the chicken before the egg. Did the media create the NFL fan base or did the NFL fan base warrant the media coverage? Ultimately, it's a little of both. I think it's a stretch to rip on ESPN, but they certainly are showing they play favorites.

My prediction is that the AFL gains a much stronger share of the public's attention and the media follows suit.

Draft saved Draft deleted