1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This ESPN-Arena Football partnership is already beginning to reek...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I noticed today's game while flipping through channels and couldn't help but notice Jaws working the game. I felt bad for the guy, he deserves better than that.

2. CatchMeUp

CatchMeUp Member

don't feel bad for jaws -- he's president and part-owner of the philadelphia arena team.

3. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

No shit. ESPN bought the AFL television package so, while I know it sounds strange, they actually decided to support their purchase with AFL programming. They also do similar things with NASCAR, MLB, NBA, NFL, College Football, College Basketball, etc. etc. and anything else they have purchased programming rights for.

For example. I don't like NASCAR. So when they broadcasted today's Busch race, I turned to the Florida-Kentucky and MVC basketball games. It didn't take much effort to punch in '10' on my TV remote control and voila, no NASCAR, no ESPN.

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

If that's how you write gamers for any sport, I feel for your editor

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Well, that's fairly simplistic. :)

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Yeah, I suppose that does change things. Didn't know that.

7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Meat, it's not about what ESPN is airing. It's about how ESPN is covering it. What else is there this time of year? NCAA hoops, NBA, NHL, spring training, NFL free-agency. Plenty of stuff to crowd out the AFL "news" that's being manufactured.

8. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Just wanted to point out that Quincy is actually playing af2 and that Idaho was wrong. Atlanta has an AFL team. They're in Gwinnett. The Georgia Force. They played in the season opener against Arizona.

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

My bad. How could I forget the Georgia Force. I knew that. :'(

Drop Atlanta, substitute Minneapolis or Detroit.

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Have they stopped covering those things? I didn't think so.

I'd rather see a 30-second segment devoted to AFL highlights than an extra Budweiser Hot Seat with Sean Salisbury telling us the Bucs have a big QB decision to make immediately following the NFL news.

11. statrat

statrat Member

Wow. From NFL starting QB to the minor league of the Arena League. Talk about a fall from grace.
    I actually don't mind Arena football. It's fun to watch and a I'll flip to a game when nothing else is on. I just hope ESPN doesn't ruin by cramming playing it up on the front page of the website and devoting large chunks of sportscenter to game highlights. Oops, spoke to soon.

12. Brookerton

Brookerton Member

Actually, they are not in Gwinnett anymore. They were in Gwinnett the first year or two. When Arthur Blank bought them a few years ago he moved the team to Atlanta. They play at Phillips Arena.

Draft saved Draft deleted