1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This ESPN-Arena Football partnership is already beginning to reek...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

OTL is all about Quincy Carter, who is about to start playing Arena Ball... I'm sure this story would get done if ESPN wasn't a partial owner of the AFL...

Everybody at ESPN should feel very dirty right about now...

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

They also just ran a big story on John Elway and played up how the AFL and his ownership of the Colorado Crush helped him through troubled times.

Yippeee! AFL to the rescue! ::)

and I say that as someone who actually thinks the game is fun to watch.

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Does anyone actually watch that shit on tv? I could easily see going to a game when bored on a Sunday, but not watching at home when there's plenty else to do.

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I'm interested to see what the ratings will be after the ESPN/ABC kickoffs. I bet a bunch of SEs are too.

But if you don't have AFL in your market (i.e. Boston, Atlanta, St. Louis, etc.) I'd have a hard time justifying anything more than running the standings in my paper until the Arena Bowl and then I'd just run a 10-inch story.

If the AFL left my market, I'd stop running anything more than standings. Same with MLS. Maybe a once- or twice-a-year feature on what the former team/players are doing, but I doubt anyone would call in and ask for more AFL coverage if the league was gone.

I'm kind of sad to see an NBDL team coming into the area next season. That means we'll probably provide coverage to that team and that means something else will see its space reduced or eliminated.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Good call Idaho. I was just wondering what other papers planned in terms of coverage for the arena league.

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I actually enjoyed the AFL until the WWL started tring to force-feed it to me.

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

[​IMG]
    The answer to all things WWL

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm guessing all summer it will be getting 1,000X more Sportscenter coverage than it deserves...

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I've no beef with the AFL coverage. I always thought it deserved a better ride than it got back in the day (2 a.m. Saturday ESPN games cut to kingdom come). Besides, what else is ESPN/ABC going to show in the late winter/spring? Better than the World Series of Overexposed Table Games.

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Can you imagine having to write a gamer on an Arena game?
    Yikes.
    I covered a minor league Arena team back in the late 90s and those gamers were never fun.
    ... then Jones scored, then Johnson scored, then Smith scored ...
    And the defense simply didn't show up today ...

11. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

THERE IS NO STORY HERE!

Go Arena Football!

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Don't want to get sick watching ESPN/AFL bullshit? or any other ESPN bullshit?

Quit bitching and ....

CHANGE THE MOTHERFUCKING CHANNEL!

Draft saved Draft deleted