1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This date is history

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Aug 1, 2012.

1. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

HBO had a "Video Jukebox" as well. Hard to believe but people rushed home from school to watch that 3-hour Michael Jackson "Thriller" video. OK, it wasn't 3 hours, just seemed that way.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

"Night Flight" had cool film clips, too. They'd show the campy old dating films, or "duck-and-cover" films. It was a great combination of entertainment.

3. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Agrees with this post </jmenforever>

4. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

We didn't have MTV on our basic cable package, so we had to settle for the weekly showing of Night Tracks on Friday nights. It was actually better than MTV because we had to stay up past midnight (gasp!) and usually ended up falling asleep on the living room in sleeping bags.

The funny thing? When I think of Night Tracks, I always think of the Steve Perry video for Oh Sherry! For some reason, that's the video I associate with Night Tracks.

How's this for nostalgia?

5. KG

KG Active Member

I used to watch Friday Night Videos on one of the local network channels when I was little.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Maybe a spoiler alert from the book, but grunge happened while MTV was pushing hair metal, making its major thrust instantly quaint. Grunge groups didn't feel the need to go all out for MTV, and new owners slashed budgets and personnel. Plus they found out that actual programs like Real World were going to get better ratings than videos.

Of course, VH1, which was founded as the counter to Ted Turner's feeble attempt at a music video channel, became the actual "music television." And now it's not so much that anymore, leaving that to BYH Classic

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Night Tracks was cool. One night it showed every Neil Young video ever made. He did some serious horseshit for most of the 80s.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

"...and Night Tracks will immediately follow Braves Baseball..."

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Bump MTV down to third in Aug. 1 musical importance. On 8-1-27, the Carter Family made their first recording as part of the Bristol Sessions.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I watched it a few times. For some reason, I always remember Jason and Justine Bateman hosting them.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

And it was worth it, right? On another front, long live Beavis and Butthead.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That's pretty cool.

Draft saved Draft deleted