1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This date is history

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

On Aug. 1, 1981, MTV made its debut at 12:01 a.m. The first music video shown on the rock-video cable channel was, appropriately, "Video Killed the Radio Star", by the Buggles. Does anyone watch MTV anymore?

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm sure a lot of people watch MTV, but if you're in your 30s or are older you probably shouldn't be. The programming is not meant to appeal to you.

More importantly, today was Jerry Garcia's birthday.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I haven't watched for a few years, but last I checked, they didn't actually show music videos anymore, just an unending stream of bullshit reality TV and teen dramas like OC, which I admittedly would creep for a while.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

One of the MTV Networks has to show videos or else the 2012 MTV Video Music Awards would be a fraud...

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1690827/video-music-awards-nominees-list-2012.jhtml

5. EStreetJoe

Trivia -- What was the second video they showed?
    Trivia Answer - Pat Benetar's "You Better Run"

I don't know what the third video shown was.
    I also don't remember which VJ was the first on the air. For some reason I'm thinking it was Marc Goodman or Alan Hunter, not JJ Jackson, Nina Blackman or Martha Quinn.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Read I Want My MTV, the oral bio released last year. tremendous stuff, fills in all the blanks.

7. EStreetJoe

Does it reveal Martha Quinn's reaction to the Mojo Nixon song "Stuffin' Martha's Muffin" ? :)

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm looking at the first chapter on Amazon. I might just have to get that book.

The first chapter includes celebrities discussing their first MTV "experience." Conan O'Brien actually put it best: "It's one of those things you can't describe to anyone who's younger than you, like the first year of Saturday Night Live."

That's true in my mind. Like many, the first time I came across MTV, in my old college roommate's apartment the year after graduation, I sat there transfixed for 6-8 hours. I cannot imagine anything showing up on television today that would leave me blown away like my introduction to rock/pop videos.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

It is an amazing book, right up there with the SNL and ESPN books.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I just sent for the book, too. Love those oral bios.

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

For some reason, MTV was premium cable where I grew up. For a couple of years, I only saw MTV at a friend's house and stayed up late on Fridays to watch another network's (USA Network? TBS? Not sure.) "Friday Night Videos."

EDIT: Holy shit! It was NBC!
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_Night_Videos

12. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

USA Network's show was "Night Flight," which specialized in less mainstream music, as I recall. (W)TBS had a weekend video show too, but I can't remember what it was called -- "Night Tracks," maybe? I stayed up way too late way too many nights in the early '80s flipping back and forth between the three shows.

Draft saved Draft deleted